Solution turning blue after SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoke27

Hello, I made king water, I bought gold. But after SMB, Su takes the color of ink, when I test it with tin chloride, it first leaves a black precipitate and turns green. I will try to add a picture in this way, I hope I can fully explain. scrap material electronic ..

20201229_002032.jpg

20201229_001953.jpg

before Stennus
20201228_165743.jpg

After Stennus
20201229_133029.jpg
prepication with stennus
20201229_133107.jpg

TY

Did you test the gold before buying or dissolving it into a solution?

Could it have been a fake, for example, a titanium slug covered with a gold shell?
Titanium? Cobalt blue?
The very pretty and poisonous and toxic metal solution, but not likely precious metals.
Where are the gloves t protect you from absorbing these toxic metals into your bloodstream?

Many of the transition metals will make colored solutions or salts.
A combination of different metals in salt or solution of these metals may also give rise to different color combinations that range in scale across the rainbow.

Reducing agents like another metal or reagents such as SMB can change the valence or charge (how many electrons are missing from the metal ion to give the ionic charge or valence to the metal ions) thus causing a color change in the solution or salt of the metal or metals involved.

Copper ion's Cu2+ for example can range from a bright blue to green, Cupric copper can also range from green to almost black.

Iron solutions or salts can range from yellow, green, red, brown, and black...

cobalt colors run a full range of colors which can range from pink, blue to browns...

Nickle greens, chromium orange, titanium violet purple, Mn2+ pink, zinc, or aluminum normally do not give color but one metal can reduce another metal ions valence or charge and give a different color in a different oxidization state...

http://www.docbrown.info/page07/appendixtrans12.htm

Just to clarify.
I hope you did not add stannous to the batch. Just a drop to a piece of paper will do.
If you added stannous to the whole batch, what ever gold that was dissolved would have been converted to nano particles and SMB will have no effect.

Looking at your pictures it looks to me like you have your gold in that last picture , as for the color of solutions they tell you very little especially if you are dissolving whole electronic scrap as there are so many elements used that can and do color solutions.

nickvc said:
Looking at your pictures it looks to me like you have your gold in that last picture , as for the color of solutions they tell you very little especially if you are dissolving whole electronic scrap as there are so many elements used that can and do color solutions.

wish but it is not gold.. dissolved in Hno3
20201230_141831.jpg

Put a piece of clean thick copper wire into the solution.
What happens?
If there was gold and it had still had enough chloride solution or salts then adding nitric you can then re-dissolve any gold (if involved), the copper will help to to understand this mystery better.

butcher said:
Put a piece of clean thick copper wire into the solution.
What happens?
If there was gold and it had still had enough chloride solution or salts then adding nitric you can then re-dissolve any gold (if involved), the copper will help to to understand this mystery better.

Mr. Butcher I had already added DMG to this solution, so I played with a little Ph, and I threw aluminum in the remaining solution. I heard the copper, but I do not know the details in its full sense. As far as I understand, you are talking about cementing with copper with AR without any treatment (Sulfamic or Urea). Should clean copper or wire copper be preferred? Thank you very much for the answers.
DMG Ph =2 (5g/1000 Ml Methenol)
20201231_134434.jpg

somethink in baker
20210101_150725.jpg

On filter some nickel there Maybe Ph come for 4 maybe NaOH disolved more ..
20210103_131955.jpg

it is seeing mess some salt on alemunia what is left after sollition filltred I add some alemunia
20210102_144143.jpg

Always use clean copper to cement pm's. The thicker the better. Pipe, plate or a bar if available.
Wire can get so thin that it breaks off and falls in your cemented powder.
Wire has to be stripped from its insulation.

Wire from electric coils have a lacquer coating that makes them useless. That has to be burnt off if its all you have. But really only a last option.

Add an aquarium air bubble hose to agitate the solution.

Martijn.

Martijn said:
Always use clean copper to cement pm's. The thicker the better. Pipe, plate or a bar if available.
Wire can get so thin that it breaks off and falls in your cemented powder.
Wire has to be stripped from its insulation.

Wire from electric coils have a lacquer coating that makes them useless. That has to be burnt off if its all you have. But really only a last option.

Add an aquarium air bubble hose to agitate the solution.

Martijn.

Ty Martijn for tricK

I only mentioned the wire because I only saw a very small amount of solution, about a test tube of the solution in the picture of the small cup.

If you used aluminum you already have displaced any values along with other metals, along with the iron oxides...

Aluminum normally makes a hard to filter gunky Gellyious goo in solution (especially as the solution becomes less acidic from hydrogen production and with the consumption of H+ the acids as hydrolysis of the aluminum occurs in solution, a place for possibly trapping values (very small clusters of atoms of reduced metals attempting to precipitate in the sometimes thick aluminum laden goop of a solution, using an aluminum can also become a problem with the drying stages of my waste products during the later waste treatment processes of these toxic metal solutions...

If my goal was to displace base metals along with possible values I would prefer zinc over copper...

Copper would displace values from solution pretty much leaving most of the base metals in solution.

Aluminum will displace values along with most of the base metals, aluminum because of its place in the reactivity series also converts the acids Hydrogen to gasses and consumes the acid making that hydrogen gas.

If you used aluminum no need to try copper now, from what I can tell from your pictures you have already precipitate iron as oxides, you would not have values in solution.

It could be possible the aluminum could have or hold small bits of reduced values or metals in the pits or pockets of the unconsumed metal hunk, brushing it off into the solution to clean it of any remaining metal clinging to its surface after using it to displace metals from the solution.

I am confused and do not understand what you are trying to do?

It looks like a mess to me ( and a dangerous one at that, from what I can see or tell from the pictures, it seems like you are trying to recover and refine all at once in one big chemical reaction to set some supposed values out of the mess.

From a few words and a few pictures, it is hard to give advice (without knowing all the details).
Can you explain how you recovered the metals before trying to refine them?
Is the picture from a recovery process or the refining process?
Was using aluminum to treat the solution for waste or were you trying to recover traces of values.
At what point in your process did you filter the iron oxides from the solution (after using the aluminum or before in some other part of a process?

Hello, Butcher. I actually tried to explain there were little notes on the pictures.
First of all, this material is a bit difficult. My goal was to take only the basic metals and make AR in the rest, but HNO3 does not react with HCL, so I did AR directly, and when I added less HNO3, I realized that it only dissolved some metals and did not harm the gold. Finally I Washed the rest and took the gold with a final AR. But since I assumed that it did dissolve some amount of gold, I looked to see if there was any gold loss in the water where I cleared the base metals. Whenever I added SMB, it turned into a deep ink color as you can see .. Then when I checked it with Tin, I saw what was in that small cup.
And I suspected the color of Palladium to turn Green and I looked at the reaction in a solution adjusted with Sodium hydroxide to pH 2 using 5g / 1000 Ml DMG / Methenol solution. My goal was to Control the presence of palladium. A rection occurred. The first 3 images in the previous post are the images during filtering after adding DMG.
The fourth picture, which was dirty for me, was to throw aluminum into the water diluted with the remaining filtered water so that whatever metal was collapsed and after processing it, it was to see if there was a precious metal.

I have Dust on this filter paper, and I can evaluate your suggestions about what to do right now. A powder descending with DMG / Methenol 5Gr / 1000 Ml at pH 2.

20210103_131955.jpg

spoke27,
I'm kind of getting even more lost or confused as to what is going on, maybe due to me getting more senile with age.

Were you able to precipitate your gold from the solution?
Did you precipitate anything using DMG and adjusting pH what color if you did?

I really cannot see anything of value coming from what I see in the pictures or from what I can understand you have done from your written descriptions of what has gone on and what has happened.

From what I can tell you have a mess and may have made it even more difficult to get any gold from this?
Why do you believe you have palladium or to any extent in the materials?

From the pictures, it looks like you have many metals in solution or in other forms of salts liquids and reduced metals as precipitates or wet powders, looks like a lot of base metals, and then your speaking recovering refined gold or palladium from this mess of metals?

in your first post, you said you bought gold (I assumed you were working with the gold you bought).

(then you mention electronic scrap (to me that is not gold but trash) it was not until another member posted did I realize you may be working with the trash.

Did you dissolve gold in aqua regia or did you dissolve trash (electronic scrap) into the aqua regia solution?
if you dissolved trash then the pictures are starting to make more sense to me.

I would like to help but I would need to better understand what your doing.

At this point I cannot see you refining anything from this very easily, you would be lucky to recover any value even the money you spent on gold or the electronic trash.

I may be wrong but from what I can tell, you are skipping any important steps of recovery of the gold and thus jumping headfirst into trying to refine trash and somehow turn it into gold or palladium...

Again I could easily be wrong (I am very often), or you could be doing this all wrong and just making a dangerous mess.

I would like to work with you, and either find out I am wrong again. or help you learn to recover and refine your gold.

Have you had a lot of experience recovering and refining gold or precipitating palladium?
Or are you just beginning and struggling to get started, and not sure how?

If you are just starting I would say you are doing it wrong and need to take a few steps back to get a better understanding or a better material to begin learning with.

It is hard to help my friend from only seeing a few pictures and trying to read and understand a few words.
the more we both understand the better we can help each other.

Butcher Nothing to confuse you .. I Solved the gold material .. I evaporated the nitric with sulfamine and bought the gold .. I added NaOH until the remaining solution reached PH 2 .. Then I heated the solution a little and I added 5gr / 1000 Ml DMG / Methenol and I added this powder in the filter. I bought it .. and I washed it 4 or 5 times with hot water. And it dries. Now This color does not look like the palladium color. But I definitely got it this way. Isn't it supposed to be DMG selective? I didn't work with Palladium, but if I'm wrong somewhere, can you please explain

I think our Turkish friend uses some translator which mixes up the word bought with dropped or precipitated.
Here's what I think he did:
He dissolved the scrap twice, dropped the gold, it became a strange colour after the SMB and then raised Ph, dropped something with DMG, and got some strange unexpected coloured precipitate.
Then cemented the rest on aluminum giving copper and iron in the last filter. (Edited: bucket, not filter)
Anyway, spoke27, lots to learn still. time to take a step back and study.
Not the best way to process mixed metals.

Martijn said:
I think our Turkish friend uses some translator which mixes up the word bought with dropped or precipitated.
Here's what I think he did:
He dissolved the scrap twice, dropped the gold, it became a strange colour after the SMB and then raised Ph, dropped something with DMG, and got some strange unexpected coloured precipitate.
Then cemented the rest on aluminum giving copper and iron in the last filter. (Edited: bucket, not filter)
Anyway, spoke27, lots to learn still. time to take a step back and study.
Not the best way to process mixed metals.
Yes I use Google Translate.. if I write self someone not understand me.. Now I am writing.. self.
oh wish not show alemunia picture.. it is waste water.. Only I add alemunia for what is have there to see
I only dropped gold and set Ph and use DMG with Methenol..

Spoke27, it's important to know what electronic scrap you processed in Aqua Regia. You obviously expected palladium because you used Dimethylglyoxime. It also is used to react with nickel.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylglyoxime
I suspect you had mlcc's in there?
So dissolving a mix of base metals probably including nickel together with precious metals is not a good idea.
Cement anything out with copper and recover and wash. Then think about separating and refining the precious metals.
Martijn.

Martijn said:
Spoke27, it's important to know what electronic scrap you processed in Aqua Regia. You obviously expected palladium because you used Dimethylglyoxime. It also is used to react with nickel.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylglyoxime
I suspect you had mlcc's in there?
So dissolving a mix of base metals probably including nickel together with precious metals is not a good idea.
Cement anything out with copper and recover and wash. Then think about separating and refining the precious metals.
Martijn.

Ty I try with some solution
it is work only in nitric acid ? I think yes but I want ask TY
135537499_1122623611505449_7838437414099396924_n.jpg
135895815_488972902501078_7233201220624396714_n.jpg

It will work with metal nitrates, chlorides and sulphates. As long as the metal displaced is not redissolved in the acid.
Which usually means no more free nitric.
The metal is ionized and has made a bond with the acid components resulting in a metal nitrate or chloride in this case using Aqau regia.
The less reactive metal salts in solution will be displaced by the more reactive metal.
This more reactive metal will go in solution. The less reactive metal will turn back to its elemental state, metal.
Martijn.

Martijn said:
It will work with metal nitrates, chlorides and sulphates. As long as the metal displaced is not redissolved in the acid.
Which usually means no more free nitric.
The metal is ionized and has made a bond with the acid components resulting in a metal nitrate or chloride in this case using Aqau regia.
The less reactive metal salts in solution will be displaced by the more reactive metal.
This more reactive metal will go in solution. The less reactive metal will turn back to its elemental state, metal.
Martijn.

Ty Martijn I Try to Understand what is difference..
for Zinc and Copper..
Zinc is reactive in Cl And Nitrate so it is Can be back other metal from Solution.(Fe,Al) reaktif in CL..
Copper is not reactive in CL ?? Or how much Reactive ?
in Aqua Regia Pd include PdCl form.. So Maybe Pd less reaktif from Copper ..
Many Question ?? for understand well

Latest posts

Back