Some silver just isn't dissolving

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here's the ring after an AR run that initially showed a positive result. Well it was a small sliver of the ring. And well since I got the positive finding I went ahead and put it some AR. But since that one time it has given me only one other very faint, quite possibly be negative, positive. The ring looks very much the same and the solution became a bright yellow ish green? So after AR failed to visibly dissolve it much at all I took the ring out and tried to see it would precipitate any gold via SMB. But nothing! Now I was thinking of evaporating evaporating the solution but do this point I'm not sure what to do. Here is a picture of the ring now.

Attachments

• 16703158380225196933201981278844.jpg
    16703158380225196933201981278844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 16703160642444236017511667458041.jpg
    16703160642444236017511667458041.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Well here's the ring after an AR run that initially showed a positive result. Well it was a small sliver of the ring. And well since I got the positive finding I went ahead and put it some AR. But since that one time it has given me only one other very faint, quite possibly be negative, positive. The ring looks very much the same and the solution became a bright yellow ish green? So after AR failed to visibly dissolve it much at all I took the ring out and tried to see it would precipitate any gold via SMB. But nothing! Now I was thinking of evaporating evaporating the solution but do this point I'm not sure what to do. Here is a picture of the ring now.
There is a lot back and forth with you.
Since you have not tested the alloy it us very hard to give sound advice.
A high Silver alloy will do this in AR and if it is too high in say Gold as a white Gold alloy. The Nitric will not touch it much either. This is if course just guessing.
But if that is the case you need to inquart it with Silver (best) Or Copper.

What do you mean tested the alloy? The specific gravity? Yeah I started to look into it but didn't quite get it. But I think inquarting would be next move. Thanks for everything and the back and fourth. 😁
Well it will fix the issue IF the issue is High Silver or Gold.
If the issue is something else, that may not fix it.
If you do not get it tested, since it is metallic XRF is fine, you won't know if inquarting can fix it.

Edit to add:
SG is just another tool, and that may or may not tell you something.

Specific gravity is a somewhat misleading term imo. I know it's used alot but confusing. Gravity is the attraction between two objects.
I prefer to use density.
The density of a substance gives a certain weight at a given volume and can indicate if you have water(1kg/liter) or gold(19.3kg/liter)
So density is weight divided by volume.
Weight is the easy one. Volume is weighing the displaced water in kg or grams when it is fully submerged in water without touching the bottom, so weighing only the displaced water by the object.
One gram equals one ml in volume. One kg is one liter.

Martijn.

Specific gravity is a somewhat misleading term imo. I know it's used alot but confusing. Gravity is the attraction between two objects.
I prefer to use density.
The density of a substance gives a certain weight at a given volume and can indicate if you have water(1kg/liter) or gold(19.3kg/liter)
So density is weight divided by volume.
Weight is the easy one. Volume is weighing the displaced water in kg or grams when it is fully submerged in water without touching the bottom, so weighing only the displaced water by the object.
One gram equals one ml in volume. One kg is one liter.

Martijn.
While this is completely true, it is such a permeated unit in technical environments it might be hard to displace. ;)(y) :devilish:

No that's what I was using. Could it be that it was too diluted with the distilled water?

For powders it shouldn't need to be very strong.
Are your Nitric actually Nitric?
And what does that have to do with melting?

Oops I didn't mean to say melting. I meant to say dissolving. I got this silver from reverse electroplating with salt water and then I rinsed a few times with distilled water and then tried to dissolve with nitric and distilled water. But nothing ever happened. So I'm thinking I need to dry it out and melt it down? Then nitric? What do you think?
Because I was also thinking of melting down the ring and make it into shot and then do the same with the ring 💍 as I planned on this silver plating.

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_084943479.jpg
    IMG_20221207_084943479.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oops I didn't mean to say melting. I meant to say dissolving. I got this silver from reverse electroplating with salt water and then I rinsed a few times with distilled water and then tried to dissolve with nitric and distilled water. But nothing ever happened. So I'm thinking I need to dry it out and melt it down? Then nitric? What do you think?
Because I was also thinking of melting down the ring and make it into shot and then do the same with the ring 💍 as I planned on this silver plating.
I'm a bit concerned with your actions, you have still not reached basic level and your doing all kind of things without completing them.
Stop now and concentrate on one project until it is solved and you have mastered that part.
Then progress to the next project

I've done each one of these processes more then once. But thank you for your concern but I'm able to handle 2 procedures at once. Both of them being silver related is even easier. Also I am only really working on the plated silver. The ring is cleaned and just waiting to either melt it or if the forum had different advise then I might take that.

Back