Stainless steel on pins question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lazersteve said:
Chris,

It's interesting that you stated hydrazine does not require the elimination of the free nitric as I have never had luck with using hydrazine directly on these solutions except when the nitric has been removed first. I'll have to give it a shot again on one of my buckets today and see if it works without removing the nitric.

4Metals,
You won't have to wait very long to see this information all over the web and for sale on ebay now that the cat is 'out of the bag'. It's amazing how quickly some secrets become the next big 'web sensation' isn't it?

I predict we'll start seeing a lot of youtube videos and questions on the subject now. The one thing that may keep a lot of guys away from this process is the high cost of nitric acid... and the brown fumes for those faint of heart.

Steve

Have you try to drop gold using hydrazine sulfate with out kill nitric, yet? If you do, how's the result? Is it clean? Can't wait to hear from you.....

goldsilverpro said:
After the copper is gone, there is stainless and gold left. I would agree with 4metals that the high nitric low HCl will work well on this combination. I would, however, reduce the HCl to about 3%, to start. The formula would be 50% HNO3/3% HCL/47% tap water, all percentages by volume. Run at room temperature. I would put the SS/Au in a bucket and cover with a little excess of this solution. I would expect that foils would dissolve within an hour or two. It will help to occasionally rotate the bucket gently back and forth to force solution exchange inside the SS sleeves. The same solution can often be used to process several batches of material. If it slows down too much, add another 2 or 3% HCl.

I have run many 1000s of pounds of similar material using this solution. After filtering the garbage out of the solution, I always precipitated the gold directly from the solution with hydrazine sulfate (HS). It probably took a HS/gold ratio of from 1:1 to 3:1. No dilution or elimination of nitric is necessary. I just sprinkled the HS on the solution, in increments, and stirred it in (there could be foam so make sure the precipitating vessel has enough space). Brown gold powder will appear fairly quickly. Moderately dilute Hydrazine Hydrate could surely be used instead of the HS. Test effluent with stannous chloride.

I always re-refined the gold powder in AR.

As with anything new, run very small test lots first to make sure it works and to allow yourself to get the "hang" of the process. Although I don't think you'll have any problem with stainless steel, some weird alloys will, as Steve said, dissolve in the solution and produce a runaway reaction. Also, some obscure alloys introduce something that inhibits the hydrazine from dropping the gold. Try a little sample first.

Can this process use on 1/10 12k gold filled eyeglasses? I have trouble with stainless steel using normal gold filled process. It take too much acid and time to dissolve stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back