Stannous chloride false readings?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

some888

hi!
So I'm still having a fun with different materials.

After getting some amount of gold plated IT related pins I decided to have a fun (many different types)

Base metal probably 50% copper based 50% silver colour metals, none of them could be dated earlier then 1995

First soaked it in AP and collected very most of gold

After when been "greedy enough" I decided disintegrate remains of pins by boiling it just to find out if anything else precious could be present 8)

After boiling pins for several hours I almost dissolved them with just very tiny pins and powder left

Here it comes Stannous chloride test 8)

very obviously I should have false readings because of high content of copper and to be honest I was expecting Brownish colour

But what I had was kind of Mid Rose colour/orange - very similar to metallic copper colour, but not exactly.

This colour from my best knowledge is very similar to Platinum test colour :?: :?: :?: :?:

I do not think there is a chance for the pins to contain platinum, at least I never ever heard about it

So any ideas? did anybody came up with such a test results?

thanks

I think I found an answer for my own question.

after making another Stannous chloride I tested solution again

this time colour is considerably more brownish then testing it first time - so it is a copper.

But I think I learned a good lesson - from now on I will make at least 2 different Stannous chloride solutions with different dates as well. Just to have more consistent and comparable test results

Especially when you make it from solder and not in laboratory but at home :lol:

some888 said:
I think I found an answer for my own question.

after making another Stannous chloride I tested solution again

this time colour is considerably more brownish then testing it first time - so it is a copper.

But I think I learned a good lesson - from now on I will make at least 2 different Stannous chloride solutions with different dates as well. Just to have more consistent and comparable test results

Especially when you make it from solder and not in laboratory but at home :lol:
You'd be far better served to have a gold standard solution at your disposal. That way you can ensure your stannous chloride works properly.

Harold

Latest posts

Back