Stannous chloride stays negative

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebloomer

Hello all. I have made my stannous with 99,9% pure tin hammered flat, 2 grams, with 30 ml 30% HCL and I added some tin pieces in de bottle together with a gram or so in stannous chloride crystals.

I know i have precious metals in solution but the test stays negative. What is going wrong here?

Too little tin dissolved ? Too low concentration of HCL ? I am at a loss here

Hello all. I have made my stannous with 99,9% pure tin hammered flat, 2 grams, with 30 ml 30% HCL and I added some tin pieces in de bottle together with a gram or so in stannous chloride crystals.

I know i have precious metals in solution but the test stays negative. What is going wrong here?

Too little tin dissolved ? Too low concentration of HCL ? I am at a loss here
Did the Tin dissolve properly?
How do you know you have PMs in solution?
Have you tested your Stannous with a standard testing solution?
What is the pH if your solution?

I had my stannous not reacting once, and it had gray or black powder on the bottom, I think it was too close to the hot plate for a while. I had to make new. Tin and its compounds is very complicated matter as far as I understand it. There are entire books about it, so i've heard.
But as said, how do you know there is pm's in solution? Is it expected to be concentrated or dilute gold chloride? And what happens with the standard testing solution?

Back