Stannous Chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldpete said:
i have a similar problem , i bought stannous chloride from my chemical supplier and it came in crystal form , how do i make it into asolution to test for the presence of gold in my AR

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2082&p=17541&hilit=stannous#p17541

FrugalRefiner said:
marlyn, I answered you in your other post. Please don't double post.

Dave

Sorry for that Dave,
I found other post more appropriate, therefore I wrote it again there. I did not find the way how to delete my post from this thread after... :|

hello guys.
i have stannous chloride (SnCl2 ) in crystal form . i wanna prepare stannous chloride solution for gold testing . can you tell me how to prepare solution? thanks.

salman1122 said:
hello guys.
i have stannous chloride (SnCl2 ) in crystal form . i wanna prepare stannous chloride solution for gold testing . can you tell me how to prepare solution? thanks.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2082&p=17541&hilit=stannous#p17541

thanks bro. it helped . it says you have to put some solid tin the solution to keep it fresh and in dynamic equilibrium . i dont have tin metal . i put 1g of sncl4 in 13ml of hcl and i became milky . after heating solution become clear then i stored it. would it work without tin?

salman1122 said:
would it work without tin?
Yes, it will work without the tin, but it won't last as long. The stannous chloride eventually oxidizes to stannic chloride. When it stops giving a positive reaction, make a new batch.

Dave

salman1122 said:
thanks bro. it helped . it says you have to put some solid tin the solution to keep it fresh and in dynamic equilibrium . i dont have tin metal . i put 1g of sncl4 in 13ml of hcl and i became milky . after heating solution become clear then i stored it. would it work without tin?
SnCl4 is stannic chloride
SnCl2 is stannous chloride, this is what is used for detecting gold in solution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_chloride

I don't know if mixing SnCl4 with HCl is creating SnCl2 or not.

Göran

sorry. i forgot the formula of stannous chloride .sncl4 in solid form is called butter of tin (yummy name :D ) .by the way it worked . thank a lot guys for the help.

I am making my first batch of Stannous Chloride, and I am wondering something. Should I continue to add small portions of tin until there is no reaction left from the HCL, or is it OK if there is still some active HCL in the solution?

Worms4u said:
I am making my first batch of Stannous Chloride, and I am wondering something. Should I continue to add small portions of tin until there is no reaction left from the HCL, or is it OK if there is still some active HCL in the solution?
A bit of excess HCl doesn't hurt the reaction but if you have some tin left over in the bottle then the stannous holds better and doesn't go bad as fast as if you have excess HCl. So the recommendation is to add more tin until there is no reaction and not filter off the tin.

Göran

Always keep some undissolved tin in your stannous. Stannous chloride (SnCl2) oxidizes to become stannic chloride (SnCl4), but stannic chloride reacts with tin to create more stannous chloride. 8)

Dave

Back