Stannous results

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

High guys,
I did a test on a minerals sample that looked like tiny flecks of gold.
Hears the thing, I digested with poor mans AR, got a nice yellow, really rich, vibrant yellow, with a tinge of orange. I boiled down and added hcl 2 times (test tube size sample). I placed a drop of the AR solution on filter paper and it looked super good, added a drop of stannous and all color dissappeared, any idea what the heck is going on? The stuff I processed was high density, looked like gold and panned like gold.

Just looking for info on how the test spot would go to colorless.

thanks
jim

Yes I am sure, just made it and tested with my known gold solution.

Just do not get the yellow sample turning clear when the stannous was applied. I have done quite a bit of mineral testing and never seen the change be to clear. I have seen no change and the normal purples etc, but never dissappearing.

Jim

Orpiment (As2S3) looks likes like Gold. That's what nailed me. It was in a stream where I had panned real Gold, and I thought it was small Gold flakes.

Killing the Stannous test is another trait of refractory ores. Try cementing it with Copper and check the precipitated metal after a dilute HCL leach.

Watch your Topknot, Pilgrim.

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/Arsenic/Arsenic.html

Irons said:
Killing the Stannous test is another trait of refractory ores. Try cementing it with Copper and check the precipitated metal after a dilute HCL leach.
Reckon how many people would have thought of that. Makes perfect sense from a science stand point.

Irons,
Thank you.

Oh, would zinc work? just wander because its faster.

thanks
Jim

Back