Starting a new batch

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready

Attachments

• Exhaust.JPG
    Exhaust.JPG
    707.6 KB
  • Prep 1.JPG
    Prep 1.JPG
    382.5 KB
  • Prep 2.JPG
    Prep 2.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • Prep 3.JPG
    Prep 3.JPG
    1.3 MB
  • Prep 4.JPG
    Prep 4.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • Prep 6.JPG
    Prep 6.JPG
    647.3 KB
  • Prep 7.JPG
    Prep 7.JPG
    1.5 MB
Very odd, this is the first time the mud like leftover actually looks like silver.. strange

Attachments

• Silver 1.JPG
    Silver 1.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • Silver 2.JPG
    Silver 2.JPG
    1.7 MB
  • Silver 3.JPG
    Silver 3.JPG
    1.5 MB
Pretty much everything, I did add a few grams to make sure it was a good pour, and I did have a little left over in the crucible

Attachments

• Finished pour 11.26.JPG
    Finished pour 11.26.JPG
    1.5 MB
Last edited:
Strange. It look pretty much like very fine silver cement. Did you boiled the reaction ? Did you make sure you added enough nitric ?
Thing is, that when some other noble metals are alloyed with say silver, and you etch away just silver with nitric, residues aren´t shiny - but often greyish/blackish/brownish coloured.

I will wash the undissolved solids from AgNO3, and then try AR - if it could get it to the solution. If it is just some junk, or it has some values in it :)

It is strange, this is only the second time I have used Canadian coins, the last time the 13 Canadian dollars I used left behind a inner round piece of metal, exactly identical to what we see here, it's like the coins are made different than the U.S. Mercury / Roosevelt dimes that actually leave no trace whatsoever after the Nitric and Distilled mix..

Attachments

• Left Over Metal.JPG
    Left Over Metal.JPG
    1.8 MB
Yes.. I rinsed about (9) nine times to get the color clear and then dried the material

Attachments

• Silver 1.JPG
    Silver 1.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • Silver 2.JPG
    Silver 2.JPG
    1.7 MB
Place the bar in your fume box and turn the fan on. Take a pipette, and drop a few drops (1 or 2) onto the surface of the bar. If turns black then it still has silver content. If it however bubbles green, it's probably nickle silver which has no actual silver content, or if it does, it's very little.

Latest posts

Back