Stock pot crystals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcnew32(Ag)

Hello, everyone I was rooting around my garage today and figured I would drain off my stockpot and add some more stainless to the liquid. When I got my buckets fully drained I noticed some large clear crystals in the bottom of the bucket. I am curious if anyone knows what kind of crystals these are or if they need to be saved? Please give me your opinion as it would be much appreciated.

Why are you using stainless steel?
Copper would be my choice, or could use iron if I was unconcerned with cementing some base metals with any values.

Stainless steel can withstand attack easier than iron or steel because of its chromium and nickel content which tends to form a passivated coating protecting the metal from the solution, and slowing the attack of the iron in the stainless steel.

Being a form of iron and other base metals as the stainless is attacked and goes into solution, it will cement other metals below it in the reactivity series of metals, although the stainless would not work as well as copper or iron here, because of its tendency to build a protective passivated coating, or it could passivated coating to the point of not cementing out the other metals (much would depend on the acid or composition of the solution in your stock pot).
Or if you were using electrolysis to push metals out of solution, and the stainless as a cathode...

Not sure what the clear salts are, but they are either salts of metals and or acids you had in solution, knowing what your stock pot consisted of would give us some clues to give you a better guess, since you state they are clear and not white or colored, and the fact your using a fairly unreactive metal like stainless steel, I tend to suspect you have sodium chloride salt, as most other metals form white or colored salts.

You would be better off using plain iron in your stock pot. The goal is to cement out all metals below iron in the reactivity series. Using stainless is going to add nickel and chromium to the mix.

The crystals could be a number of salts depending on what you've processed and what has made its way into your stockpot. If you've previously cemented out any values with copper, they're not likely to have any value. If you use only iron in your stockpot system, there could be values in the solids.

Dave

Yes I am sorry I should have stated what was in the stock pots. I have three 5 gallon buckets filled with 4 gallons of waste nitric and hydrochloric acid solution. This solution is from various ceramic CPUs, silver electrical contacts, and gold plated material. I have cemented most of the silver from the solutions as well as gold obviously. I ran out of carbon steel pipe and had a piece of stainless sitting there so I used that. I knew it wasn't the best material to use to push out other metals in the solution but what I did not know was that it created a passive layer not allowing the reaction to take place. Thank you for that information. I wanted to use carbon steel because it's a lot more cheap than copper. As far as the crystals they may be from the acids used in the solutions have been neutralized. Is there a way to test the crystals for content?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 338
Test the stock pot solution with stannous chloride.

NaCl Sodium Chloride is soluble in water just about as soluble in cold as hot, at this point using cold water would be best, so you do not pick up lead chloride see below.

Cold water to dissolve the sodium chloride salts, let anything that is insoluble settle, and decant the solution for waste treatment.

Lead chloride is almost insoluble in cold water, but becomes much more soluble in boiling hot water, You want the water as hot as possible to dissolve the lead salts, but not boiling as the silver salts are fluffy and will take time to settle, keeping the water hot so lead stays in solution and the silver chloride has time to settle.

Because you used iron you would have cemented base metals that may have been involved, out of solution, cadmium, cobalt, nickel, tin, lead, antimony, arsenic, bismuth, cooper, silver and mercury, as well as any precious metals.

If you would have cemented with copper, most of these base metals stay in solution as they are more reactive than copper, and beside some copper you would only cement the precious or more valuable metals and silver.

Because you have chloride and nitrate salts involved you can make aqua regia by adding an acid to the salts, so testing solutions is needed to insure your not putting your value in solution...

Here I would consider a wash in sodium hydroxide solution, then hot water washes, drying the powders, bringing the heat up slowly, to drive of acid fumes, before bringing the powders to a red hot incineration keeping the crushed and stirred to expose them to plenty of air.

The NaOH wash will help to neutralize salts, along with the hot water washes to help remove as much water soluble nitrates and chlorides as possible, the caustic solution will also help to form, or convert many of the metal chloride and nitrate salts to oxides or hydroxides of the base metals, the heating process and incineration will drive off previous acids and finish the base metal conversion to oxides.

(Silver and gold chloride salts if directly incinerated, you take the chance of loosing some value in the smoke, with the hydroxide and hot water wash can help lower possible lose here).

Copper Chloride, copper oxide, and many of the base metals oxides will dissolve in HCl, silver chloride will stay insoluble. Testing with stannous chloride will indicate if you are dissolving any gold or platinum or palladium.

Heating solutions will pick up more metal and give better results with your acids.

For a better understanding of using the stock pot and recovery of values, study Hoke's book and the forum, the stock pot can be a healthy piggy bank, those who work with many small batches loose a little value in each batch, which add up to a lot of value in the waste solutions, the stock pot can help you to recover these values.

Copper chloride CuCl is pretty much insoluble in water, but dissolves in HCl.

Thank you everyone for being so informative and understanding as these stockpots are from my beginning days and very well could have much values in them. I just wanted to hear what other people had to say about these stockpots. I haven't studied much about the treatment of stockpots because of the time I spent studdying basic metal processing. It takes so much time to study every aspect of each element and how it reacts with different solutions. And I appreciate every bit of information someone could quickly explain to me. I have started ready hokes book by haven't gotten to the stockpot chapter quite yet.

Bet you a dollar the crystals are stannous chloride.,

Dissolve a few crystals in HCL test the resulting solution with your gold standard.

i had this problem once i soaked the crystals in AR and got a nice gold solution as i have not learnt yet how to drop gold from my solution im just stock piling my gold solution till i learn more

jonny823 said:
i had this problem once i soaked the crystals in AR and got a nice gold solution as i have not learnt yet how to drop gold from my solution im just stock piling my gold solution till i learn more

Jonny take this as its intended please.
If you don't know how to precipitate your solutions you shouldn't be making any, by adding AR into your stockpot crystals and sludge you have dissolved all the metals once again and finally how do you know you have gold solutions, have you tested them with stannous?
Please slow down and read before you do any more dissolutions, the chemicals and fumes can be deadly!
All you need to know is here on the forum, use the search button top right of your screen and look up gold precipitants but please first make sure you know what you are doing and understand the dangers involved.
I'm not trying to pick on you but am concerned about your well being, your gold isn't going anywhere so take your time and read and study, dissolving things willy nilly isn't a good idea.
You can do this and help is here if you need it but you have to do your part and study so you will follow what the answers mean and why.

Latest posts

Back