stripping silver traces from keyboards ,great idea?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zauggart

hi there everybody
i remember reading somewhere probley on here about people having difficulty in processing keyboard silver traces . well i might have found a way to get them off very easy without burning them etc . i was in the process of testing some of my ideas and chemicals i have etc . maybe it has been mentioned before but i am so excited that i might have found a simple method for removing the traces etc i had to post it here. the other day i was out at a local gardening shop and seen a bottle of PH down with 15% nitric i asked the lady there if she knew if it had any buffers and she said she figured it was jst 15% nitric diluted with distilled water. anyways so i bought it and got it home . then i asked NOXX if it was easy to purify and he said something similar to (i wouldent reccomend it and its very dangerious) so with that being said i thought well S**T ill scrap that idea and today i was trying to think of something to do so i got out the silver traces and with my new dropper i got for $1.99 and my bottle of nitric %15% i put 1 drop of 35% of sulfuric on 1 trace and 1 drop of nitric on another and after a number of hours my conclusions were this
1. sulfuric of 35% after 9 hours there was no noticible difference in color and stayed in position even after rubbing a plastc toothpic over it a number of times and also didnt bother the plastic/mylar
2. the 15% nitric after 3 hours was incredable because when i rubbed another plastic toothpic across this trace it rubbed right off with no effort and the plastic/mylar was unchanged .
so my question is this couldent you take the 1litre of nitric and pour it in a container (plastic or glass) such as a glass cake dish then cut the plastic /mylar to fit by cutting it in half and laying it in and pouring the nitric in and letting it sit for a day or two . then after 2 days wouldent the silver traces be reduced to dust/etc and easy to remove the plastic to add more with silver traces until the 15% nitric becomes saturated and wont work anymore be loaded with silver nitrate to process . you could possibley even set it up and everytime you get a proper keyboard to scrap remove the old plastic pand toss in you new ones etc and when its saturated its done . So waddya gurus think of this idea before i try it? then i could post more of my test results for everybody
thanks
Ian

Ian,

If the material on the Mylar is, indeed, silver, it should dissolve readily in nitric acid. If it doesn't, warm it slightly. I expect you should be able to dissolve the traces in a matter of seconds. That the nitric is dilute shouldn't present a problem. You would have to rinse the Mylars well after removing them from the acid, otherwise you'd lose a great deal of the values to drag-out. Please let us know if it works.

Harold

Back