Success! kinda

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin_Cache

Hello,

This is my first post. I have been lurking for months. I have read Hoke and read it most nights on the way to sleep. I processed my first batch of karat gold this past weekend. It was a mixed lot of 9,10,14,18. One of the 14kt pieces was questionable when being tested, but I calculated it as 14 anyway.

I expected 22 grams of gold at the end and ended up with 21.9 in dried powder and a 21.8 button. I can see specs in the boric glass so I know where it is. The reason for doing this batch was to create a button to use up the extra nitic on a batch of CPUs I plan to process in the next few weeks.

So I inquarted with sterling and kept a couple of grams out of the batch to test for extra nitric during the AR step.

Did the math assuming karat gold was copper only alloys and the sterling I added and assumed copper on that also.

All went great as planned completely through 50/50 and AR steps. No lead fell when I added sulphuric. Still concerned I may have extra nitric I put 2 ml of gold solution in 30ml flask and drop in a couple of beads of urea. No fiz, so i sprinkled in a tiny bit of SMB. Brown cloud grew on bottom. Added back to main beaker and added 22 grams SMB. What a wonderful sight that was!! I had been reading all the posts lately about SMB not dropping gold so what a relief.

I took the 50/50 solution and finished off some left over sterling I had until nothing else would dissolve and the cemented with copper bar.

Totals from first go at it is 184 grams silver and 21.8 gold.

So what is the problem? Well while filtering the 50/50 (silver nitrate by now) I had a family member get sick in the other room and I got some on the counter. Now I had a couple of purple spot on the counter. The wife is impressed with the gold button, but not with the purple spots. I have search, but it all the posts I have found have to deal with stain on the skin. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help.

Wonderful site! And I think I agree with Harold E-scrap just isn't worth it. After I process the boards/fingers/pins/cpus I have I am pretty sure I will stick to karat gold. I have pretty good luck offering 75 to 80% of spot at garage sales so far. There is another pile in there waiting to be inquarted now.

But no more processing or buying until I get rid of these stains or put in new counter tops!!

First of all, you should never work with these chemicals inside your home. I suggest you seal everything up and move it to a safe storage area and do some reading about safety. This stuff can be deadly, don't mess with it until you understand the dangers, which you obviously don't or you wouldn't have had it in your kitchen. There are ways of removing the stains but that comes with dangers also. If you put any of your solutions down the drain, you may be in for a hefty repair bill too. Depending on what fumes the family member inhaled, you may want them to see a doctor. Open your windows to get some fresh air in the house.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=35

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=47

So what is the problem? Well while filtering the 50/50 (silver nitrate by now) I had a family member get sick in the other room and I got some on the counter.

Please tell me your not processing inside your home, and if so I hope they didn't sick as result of processing in your house?

Edit: spelling

Nothing in house. Outdoor kitchen on back porch yes. Which might I add is never used! Not sure why she is so concerned she hasn't been out there in two years. Nothing has been in house except finished metal. Sorry should have specified where the counter is. It is small and not that big if a deal to replace, but would prefer not. Nothing has been disposed of as of yet. Still have to recover copper and make it ok for disposal.

No one was allowed out the back door while I was processing.

No they did not get sick because of what was going on outside. Chemo tends to cause unannounced sudden sickness.

"So what is the problem? Well while filtering the 50/50 (silver nitrate by now) I had a family member get sick in the other room and I got some on the counter."

You said the family member was in the other room, the way that is worded leads people to believe you are in the house. I don't know what you're dealing with but I hope it works out and everyone is okay. :|

sodium thiosulfate? Got rid of all the old darkroom chemicals about 6 years ago during a "toxic round up" here in town. I am sure it was fast fix though.

Here is a link to another post about a guy with a similar problem: http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20849
I don't know what damage would be done to the surface of the counter top though.

Here is another handy link: http://goldrecovery.us/forum_search.asp

Thank you, that is where I came up with the sodium thiosulfate.

I am not seing it in my head, but I would prefer to try it first over strong oxidation. Plus thiosulfates are something I am used to working with. I can't stand the smell of peroxides. 3% bothers me. I have worked with 35% and can't stand it. Organics literally make me spew.

Latest posts

Back