Suggestions On Completely Removing Solder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifey222

Hi i am completely new to this process of gold recovery And full aware i still have a Long way to go before i even consider Buying the equipment to chemically recover gold

my first question is about removing solder for Nitric acid removal of plating as i am aware it can contaminate as such your gold in the stages before taking it to a powder and was wondering what peoples methods of removing the solder from pins and pcb and so on in terms of pcb i know cutting the solder of would be the quickest way but feel i may end up losing gold this way.

my second question is about gold pin and how to recover the plating from them as while researching pcb recovery i saw someone add a processor (with pins and gold areas exposed) in with ram fingers and other pcb and i am aware that the nitric acid will remove the copper and other metals from under the ram fingers but thought you would have to a different method for removing from pins as you want to remove the plating from a different base metal.

hope i explain that clearly and will more that likely have lots more question in the future as so far i have learned through videos but i have the feeling that a lot of the videos i have been watching are with holding information and methods in order to encourage you to buy their books or online courses

Hi, I am going to be honest with you and give you the advice I was given, you have to crawl before you can run, in any interests before any practise are under taken you have to gain a basic knowledge.

You must do your homework has I did and read this forum wealth of knowledge and the hoke book, this book is obtainable through this forum (free) to download and educate yourself.

Before asking any questions on processes, it is very important that you understand the dangers of the chemicals you will be using.

I am relatively new to refining and learned so much off this forum and still learning, you say you have learned so much watching videos, a word warning some videos on the internet are showing only part of processes and leaving parts out, to me this dangerous and can lead to very serious accidents.

In this world of refining, it is like drug, it becomes addictive and I know and believe the best way to be safe and enjoy the world of refining is do your homework first.

After sometime, you will like to try out one of the processes, do as I did and still doing with new material, use a very small amount of waste or scrap and experiment with very small amounts of solutions.

If something goes wrong and it will from time to time, you only have small amounts unusable waste to dispose of.

I wish you all the best and welcome to the forum, Steve

i do understand that and as i said i know i am a long way away from being able to refine my first question was more about collecting scrap electrical gold and doing the prep-work so that what i have is ready for the day when it does come by

The second was more about the fact i was sure pins were a different process but as of yet the only refining of them i have seen was the same process as used for fingers i could be wrong and most of the pins could have copper lining under the gold and that's why the nitric works on them but from what i have seen so far i would have thought AR method would be the main way to process pins(to sum it up i had a feeling the way i saw was not only not a good way to do it but not very safe as i think i saw him leave icu chips on ram stick and stick them in acid) and as such wanted to clear up that nagging feeling in the back of my mind saying thats not a good way to go about it.

Greetings and welcome lifey222.

What sri steve is trying to convey is you need to start by reading the welcome section. There, you will find important information that must be read and understood before diving into the deep and dangerous pool of recovery and refining of metals of any kind.

While reading in depth and learning, your questions will become light bulbs that will click on in time. Simply saying nitric acid is not good for pins; different types of material are processed different ways; nitric acid is not the best for pins or solder; will not fully answer your questions and will lead to many more questions. All will be found as you read and follow your own path into this forum and you will have all your answers soon enough. As well as learning the most important thing of all...

Patience.
Sux yes but you must begin somewhere right? Begin right and it will pass quickly and easily.

Good luck and hopefully your journey is fun filled

B.S.

Latest posts

Back