Teacher looking for education!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignatz61

Hi all!
I have been lurking here for about a week to get the" lay of the land" so to speak. I have read a lot of your posts and am now re-reading to try to make it stick.

I teach Manufacturing Technology at a vocational school in NY. I have incorporated Jewelry making and investment casting as a part of the program with great success.
I am also interested in the whole recovery and refining of precious metals from free scrap.

I just cast my first piece of Gold jewelry - a Tennis bracelet for my wife as a 25 year wedding anniversary gift. Gold works so much better than silver that now I am on the hunt for gold scrap to refine and cast.

I have some brass parts with gold plating on them. I have tumbled them in a tub of lacquer thinners to remove some kind of protective clearcoat.
Now I am unsure of the best way to proceed? Disolve the base metal, disolve the gold or de-plate it?
Thanks,
john

Welcome Aboard John,

Do you have any photos of the scrap?

If the pieces are large the cell is most likely the best method to get the gold out.

Steve

Hi Steve,
They are pen parts, Small like .22 cal bullet casings. the largest is about 5/8" diameter x 1/2" cylinder. all are plated completly (no exposed base metal)
Thanks,
JOhn

Latest posts

Back