testing soda ash

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azdave35

i have a big bucket of what i think is soda ash that i have had for a while and the label is gone..is there a test that i can do to find out if it is soda ash .. thanks in advance

This is actually a very difficult question, because you don't tell us what resources you have on hand to test with, nor what other chemicals this COULD be. The universe of "unknown white powder in bucket" is very large - it could be thousands of different things.

However, if I assume:
1. your chemical stockpile is composed of stuff you typically get at a grocery store or normal home chemicals
2. you don't have any analytical equipment

then, some thoughts:
a). soda ash is odorless. Is this odorless?
b). soda ash is a poorly crystalline white powder. Are there obvious crystals (like you might see in granular salt) or is it a fine poorly crystalline white powder?
c). soda ash, when dissolved in de-ionized, or maybe distilled, water, has a pH of around 11.5. If you make a saturated solution at standard temp (25 C), by adding soda ash to water until it won't dissolve any further, and then measure the pH, do you get a pH around that level?
d). soda ash is sodium carbonate. If you add white vinegar to a solution of this mystery solid, does it foam? That might be CO2 evolution (or some horribly poisonous gas if this WASN'T soda ash).

If you have a very accurate mass scale, and accurate volumetric pipettes, and can control temperature reasonably, you could make a saturated solution at 35C, then take a 1 ml or 10 ml sample, quickly weigh that and see whether it is close to the density of pure soda ash dissolved in water, (1.33 times the weight of water alone). The reason I suggest trying to do it this way (as opposed to trying to measure the density of the solid) is that soda ash is usually hydrated, so water molecules are attached to the solid that screw up direct measurements of mass/density and such.

35C is the max. solubility point, so if you could maintain temp. but filter or decant, then gently heat further (to say 50 C) while avoiding any water vaporizing (a watch glass on a beaker) if solids formed you might conclude your mystery solid had similar (and unusual) solubility compared to soda ash. Most chemicals have increasing solubility with temperature, but soda ash solubility increases up to around 35C and then decreases.

If you have pure ethanol, you could see whether the mystery powder dissolves. Soda ash doesn't dissolve in ethanol.

Those are just a few thoughts, for relatively easy and minimal equipment type tests. None are conclusive on their own, but in combination could allow a reasonable guess as to the identity of your mystery solid. I am sure smarter people could come up with better methods.

Best Regards, Gerald

The other thing is, a "bucket" of soda ash has a value of what...$10....$20?

Is it worth doing the work of testing it and or risking ruining some other process for the sake of probably the cheapest chemical there is?

Just asking.

hi,
soda ash is na2co3.you test your powder by qualitative analysis of cation and anions.test sodium using flame test.and add hcl to your powder to get effervescence to assurance of carbonate.

If you leave Soda Ash (anhydrous Sodium Carbonate) exposed to the air, it will absorb moisture and Carbon Dioxide, eventually becoming Sodium Bicarbonate.

If you use Soda Ash, as I do, for a component in Flux, it's a good idea to heat it and drive any moisture out. Take a known weight of the Soda Ash and bake it at 150 C or so to drive any water of hydration out and re-weigh it. That will give you an idea of how much water there is.
If you are going to use it for a titration, baking it is pretty much required if you want to use it as your reference, otherwise you really don't know how much Sodium Carbonate you really have.

Latest posts

Back