Testing some contacts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bswartzwelder

I recently purchased a pound of "Gold scraps recovery - gold pin recovery" from aperson on eBay. They arrived this week and for some strange reason, they appear to be copper with no gold visible. Before I make a complaint to eBay, I want to test a small batch of these pins.

I plan to take 1 gram of pins (about 6) and put them in a small glass. Then I'll add 4 to 5 ml of 32% HCl and 2 ml or 3 ml of Chlorox. Let everything sit until all metal dissolves and then test a drop of the solution on a paper towel with a drop of Stannous Chloride solution. If it turns dark, I'll know that there is gold present. If it doesn't turn dark, then I'll assume no gold is present. Does anyone see any problems doing it this way? Unfortunately, it is cold here in Maryland and leaving everything sitting out on the deck will mean the reaction will be slow. Maybe I could preheat the HCl and Chlorox before adding it to the chips. Any suggestions/criticism (as always) will be welcome. After all, criticism shows me where I might make a mistake and if possible, I want this to be as error free as possible.

If you have some sodium nitrate to make AR it takes heat better than Clorox. You can force the reaction in a test tube with heat to finish faster.

The eBay item number is: 190602004938. The guy has 100% positive feedback so I want to be sure the pins do have gold. They just don't look like they're gold plated to me. That's why I want to test. If I know they don't have gold, then I can raise the issue with the seller.

As far as heating the HCl and Chlorox, I was going to bring a small bowl of water to a boil in the microwave. After it boils, I was going to take everything outside and put the glass (with the HCl and Chlorox in it) into the hot water. If necessary, I can reheat the water.

Given the same situation, I'd be inclined to dissolve a half dozen of the pins in dilute nitric. It can be done in a test tube, heated with an alcohol lamp, or even a candle, if necessary. That would leave behind any traces of gold as a solid. You'd be able to see the results by eye, and achieve them in minutes. There are advantages to having some nitric on hand.

Harold

The connectors shown in the auction pictures appear to be ERNI 3x16 (48 pin) DIN female backplane connectors. ERNI lists them as Gold plating over a base of Copper Alloy. Their general catalog, pages 415-418 have the mechanical characteristics. Be careful - the catalog file is 54 Megabytes, pretty big.

Hopefully you're testing finds them to be gold!

Cheers,
Brian
EDIT - I have a name, just left it off....

Latest posts

Back