The best way to melt down gold powder to drop/bar

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix_phx_

Hello! I want to ask about one thing. I want to melt down my glod powder, and make drop/bar. What is the best way to do that? I have burner (1500*C), steel melting pot.

Thank You

Please describe what you mean by a drop/bar, Phoenix.

If you mean you'd like to pour an ingot, you need a mold of sorts, which can be made of cast iron, steel, or graphite. The form you desire would be machined in the block of material, which would be heated before use, then covered with the smoke from an acetylene torch. The smoke cover insures that no gold contacts the surfaces, and releases the gold instantly when it is turned upside down. To insure that happens, the sides of the mold should not be straight, but tapered slightly. As little as 1° of angle will serve, but a little more is better. 3° of angle will yield a very nice mold. Machinists have access to tapered end mills, making the machining easy.

Do not melt any of your precious metals in any kind of metallic vessel. They must be melted in something the does not contribute contamination, or that has the potential to solder to the charge. Gold will combine with steel readily, not only contaminating the gold, but you'll lose some to the vessel.

Here in the US, jewelry supply stores sell small clay melting dishes. They are not expensive, and if used with care, and seasoned properly before placed in use, they will last for quite a long time. You can use a torch that uses oxygen and the fuel of your choice (acetylene, propane) to melt the gold. You do not need a furnace, although using one is acceptable. It's just a lot slower, and far less convenient.

Harold

Back