They only want to pay 60% in Calaveras! Ugh!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvonbug

I live in Calaveras County in California. Right near the Hwy. 49, "Gold Country". I refine my own gold from computer scrap. I collected this scrap from the Bay Area, silicon valley, back in 1987-1993. I carted all this stuff with me when I moved to the hills in '93. When I refine my gold, I do it so I can sell it with pride and with the hope of getting good money for my effort. Unfortunately, no-one wants to pay more than 60%! The pawn brokers, the jewelry stores, the Jewelers, etc. A few of them don't even know much about gold that comes in powdered form! Refined by AR, that is. I have made an appointment with one company who says they'll pay up to 80%. I'll be happy with that. But thats only One company! There are alot of places here that buy gold, but they all just want to pay 60%. That's way too low for the time and effort I put into this. None of them have seen my gold yet, this is just what they say on the phone. My gold is beautiful and pure. If anyone knows of a buyer who pays more than 75% at least in this area, could you share the secret? Thanks, Yvonne

What the heck is wrong with shipping it? Pawnbrokers and jewelers are notorious for giving bottom dollar to anyone they perceive as not in "the business".

There are numerous places mentioned on this forum (in this very section) which will pay out at 90 or even 98% of spot. Supposedly there is a fellow in NY doing it for 99% of spot (and probably some fees).

Well, it's scarey, kinda. I was thinking about Noble Metals Recovery,LLC. But to ship it out,,, I don't know, never thought it was a good idea, is all. But considering the position I'm in, I guess I should really think on it. Thanks, -Yvonne-

Hi Yvonne,

I know what you mean. I live in Sacramento and it seems every buyer i've been to has tried to straight burn me out of my gold. It's starting to really piss me off. One guy offered me $90 for 12grams op 22kt. That was yesterday when the market closed at $952 an oz. I ended up selling him a few small nuggets so I would have enough gas to make it home. And it killed me to do that knowing how much he was getting over on me. Ugggh!!!!

Regards,
Pat G.

In Australia the reason the price on scrap is quoted much lower is because all buyers of 2ndhand jewellery need to hold onto the stock for 14days before selling/refining etc... So imagine when the price is volatile 2 weeks can move against you alot.

I agree thow sometimes people can steal gold of others, but at the end of the day if your silly enough to sell then thats your fault and no1 elses.

Back