Things NOT to mix together and reactions you get

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joem

I thought I would make a topic for all those newer people like me who think they can mix any left over chemicals without thinking of the consequences.
my example:
AP and left over SMB, while filtering out dropped gold, into the same waste bucket. The next morning the smell of sulfer (rotten eggs) was more powerful than the kid's diapers in the garbage can. Also dropping copper out with steel produced a black sludge. opinions?

joem said:
I thought I would make a topic for all those newer people like me who think they can mix any left over chemicals without thinking of the consequences.
my example:
AP and left over SMB, while filtering out dropped gold, into the same waste bucket. The next morning the smell of sulfer (rotten eggs) was more powerful than the kid's diapers in the garbage can. Also dropping copper out with steel produced a black sludge. opinions?

Save that black sludge,
Take caution and study, as mixing some chemicals can get deadly reactions, and why rush getting six foot under? Anybody new is advised to learn the proper processes, safety and disposal, before they start even trying to refine or recover values. study while you still have eye's and the breath to do so, and then keep on studying.

take small portion Wash like you would for gold powders, in test tube and disolve in solution as you would gold powders, and do stannous test. doing test on small portion can tell you more about your next step for the bulk of materials, you may find it is just copper, but without testing how would you know if it was not gold, (or too much SMB dropped copper).

joem said:
What I meant by opinions was about the black sludge
Steel contains carbon, albeit not a lot. Less than 1%, with exceptions. Mild steel, for example, is down around .2%. The black you mention is likely just the carbon that has been liberated by the dissolution of the steel.

Harold

Harold_V said:
joem said:
What I meant by opinions was about the black sludge
Steel contains carbon, albeit not a lot. Less than 1%, with exceptions. Mild steel, for example, is down around .2%. The black you mention is likely just the carbon that has been liberated by the dissolution of the steel.

Harold

thanks Harold
also what reaction causes the strong sulfer smell?

martyn111 said:
The smell of sulphur will be the SMB breaking down into sulphur dioxide, the precipitant for dropping your gold
That's correct.
When I re-refined my gold, I sent the spent solution to my stock pot. The result was usually some sulfur from the free SO2 that had been introduced.

Harold

Latest posts

Back