THIO LEACHING

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'm a bit slow on this so please walk me through it.
Will sodium thiosulfate work with both plated fingers and ore?
what is the setup for this, another post had a link to the old form and was a dead link so I cant find the recipe for this process.

Re: THIO LEACHING

Post by rockpicker72 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:59 am
They use ammonium triosulfate as the other part.

What is the other part Rockpicker72 is ref to?
I would like to test both fingers and black sand as well as some possible local Rhyolite gold ore I can grind up.
Thanks it's been awhile since I've been here and am a bit rusty , Wyndham

Here is an interesting link on the Thio leaching process. I don't understand all but zinc or iron cementation seem to recover the best % of gold. Please chech it out and tell me if this is what you read also, thanks wyndham
http://www.miningtec.com/mineral-processing/noble-metal/method-of-gold-recovery-from-thiosulfate-solution.html

Hi Vagadero, here is your response.This article is designed to come up with an alternative to using carbon or coconut to recovery the gold from a pregnant solution.The recovery method of using carbon or coconut is only one of 2 ways,chemically or incineration.Chemically adds a lot more expense and obviously another chemical to deal with,and of course the added time.Incineration,while it works and is effective,its not feasible to recover a large amount for a "backyard" processor.It takes a lot of heat to incinerate the material,which costs money to generate,then of course has to be crucially filtered after incineration.Zinc or Iron cementation drops the gold by displacing the gold in the solution forcing the gold to have no where to stay.It is the exact same method as forcing gold out of a muratic or nitric solution using Zn or Fe,only in those cases something must be added to those acids to digest the gold first.With a thioleach solution you are leaching almost pure gold,similar to cyanide.It still needs to be refined though.I hope this helps.
This is Charles Butler http://butlerlab.com/ .He is one of the nicest men I've had the pleasure of talking to,and accredited as one of the pioneers in thioleaching in his day.He has an excellent book for sale on that website that discusses and explains the ins and outs of thio use.
Johnny

If I use incineration what and how to do the filter it? Simply do I need a filter and nothing more? ( I have the idea to use a solar oven. It's cheap and efective.)

Hi Randy,
The information I initially recieved on charles came from a gentleman that owns a company that sells electrowinning and thio recovery machines.The machines sell for anywhere from $5000 consumer models to well over $100,000 for commercial units.I explained to him that there was no way I could afford something like that,he then volunteered the information about charles.I've spoken to him on the computer about it and he sounds very knowledgable about it,so I presumed that the information given to me was true.
Johnny

Very well may have been randy.Like I said he sounded knowledgable about it,but the information was given to me from a third party.It is entirely possible the gentleman that told me that either,was confused about who we were talking about,was confused about how much charles really knew,or was just talking to be talking.It is also possible that I am wrong,I may have missunderstood what he was insinuating.If I am I apologize,I am human and very capable of making mistakes,though I try to keep them to a minimum.
Johnny

leavemealone said:
Very well may have been randy.Like I said he sounded knowledgable about it,but the information was given to me from a third party.It is entirely possible the gentleman that told me that either,was confused about who we were talking about,was confused about how much charles really knew,or was just talking to be talking.It is also possible that I am wrong,I may have missunderstood what he was insinuating.If I am I apologize,I am human and very capable of making mistakes,though I try to keep them to a minimum.
Johnny

All

It is not still answered how is thio leach method.

Regards
Kj

Latest posts

Back