Thiosulfate leach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you do to try and make it cement out to have residue in the pictures?
Hi there, I just put a piece of aluminum and left it over night.. In the morning I got all that sludge stuff floating around and on the bottom. I managed to gather it all together in the corner. Can anyone tell if this looks like gold as it still floats around with the liquid a bit would be thinking it should be more heavy. But maybe it is sponge gold so might just be really light?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241026-173635_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241026-173635_Gallery.jpg
    1,011.9 KB
  • 20241026_170818.jpg
    20241026_170818.jpg
    1.2 MB
Hi there, I just put a piece of aluminum and left it over night.. In the morning I got all that sludge stuff floating around and on the bottom. I managed to gather it all together in the corner. Can anyone tell if this looks like gold as it still floats around with the liquid a bit would be thinking it should be more heavy. But maybe it is sponge gold so might just be really light?
Ha, I tried sucking it with that little liquid and squirt onto a small cupel but the liquid just sucked straight into the cupel and the sponge stuff seems to have sucked in as well maybe I shouldn't have been so impatient and just let it completely dry. I would think if it was gold powder it would not suck into the cupel with the water. But maybe the powder was so fine? Not sure i will try again with a bigger batch an let it dry. Then post results

Ha, I tried sucking it with that little liquid and squirt onto a small cupel but the liquid just sucked straight into the cupel and the sponge stuff seems to have sucked in as well maybe I shouldn't have been so impatient and just let it completely dry. I would think if it was gold powder it would not suck into the cupel with the water. But maybe the powder was so fine? Not sure i will try again with a bigger batch an let it dry. Then post results
If it is floaty it is not Gold.
Have you tried to acidify it and test it with Stannous?

If it is floaty it is not Gold.
Have you tried to acidify it and test it with Stannous?
Hi there,
No I haven't tried to add any acid or done any Stannous test at any part of this process. So yea I guess there is no evidence until a proper procedure has been done. Do they sell Stannous solution or does it need to be made?
Thanks

Hi there,
No I haven't tried to add any acid or done any Stannous test at any part of this process. So yea I guess there is no evidence until a proper procedure has been done. Do they sell Stannous solution or does it need to be made?
Thanks
Dissolve some Tin in HCl.
Stannous is our eyes in refining.

Have you considered using the electrolytic recovery systems made for CLS leaches and sold by Action Mining Services in Montana? Check their website and download a catalog for details on their leaches (one of which I believe is a thiosulfate leach) and their recovery systems.

Have you considered using the electrolytic recovery systems made for CLS leaches and sold by Action Mining Services in Montana? Check their website and download a catalog for details on their leaches (one of which I believe is a thiosulfate leach) and their recovery systems.
Thanks, will have a look 👍

You should be able to cement the gold out of solution using a piece of copper and ion exchange. I have done this with thiosulphate and it worked. Just add some generic cleaning ammonia to raise the ph to around 10 hang a copper sheet in the solution, stir or aerate. Or electrowinn.
Hi mate, instead of using Ammonia. Could I not just desovle more thiosulfate crystals into the concentrate and not dilute the mixture that should make the solution more acidic would it not?
This is just a thought

Back