Time for a new contest!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MGH said:
- Each person's two guesses, valid according to the conditions above, will be averaged together, the second guess being weighted at two times the first.

Please excuse my ignorance but I simply do not understand this part of the contest :oops:

It's the - "being weighted at two times the first" - that I don't get :?:

In other words - I have a first guess number - now I have a number in mind based on the second guess pic which I can certainly "average" between first guess number & second guess number

In other words - the first guess number is not the winning number - the second guess number is not the winning number - & the average between the first & second guess is not the winning number

How do I come up with the (winning) number that is "weighted" at two times the first guess :oops: :?:

Kurt

Yes, I like to make things difficult sometimes :D

Here's an example
First guess is 5g
After seeing the second picture, you want to increase your guess, so you guess 15g
Final calculated guess, with second guess weighted at two times the first is as follows:
(5 + 2(15))/(3) = 11.67

Essentially your second guess counts as two identical guesses in a total of three guesses. Just like to keep everyone on their toes.

I'm not sure how to do this kind of math "(5 + 2(15))/(3) = 11.67" so I will have to think on this. Then I will have to this and post what my 2nd number might be.

I must be dumb when it this kind of math. Here is what I thought how it works 1st + 2nd / by 2 = average.

Martijn said:
If you want to reach your second guess: just multiply that by 3, subtract your first guess, and divide that by two.
Put that number here.

So if I don't want to change the 1st number that means my first number + second number will divide by 2? If that is right how will he know how to with the right number?

(A + 2x)/3 = Total
3*total = A + 2x
3*total - A = 2x
x=(3*total-A)/2

Where x is what your second guess should be, when A is your first guess and Total is what you actually think is there.

New average is based on 1 x first guess + 2 x second guess. So average of three numbers.
So the goal average has to be multiplied by 3, then take off your girst guess. This leaves you with 2 times your second guess.
So if your first guess was 5 gram but now you think it's 20 grams, give a number: ((3 x 20) - 5) : 2 = 27.5 so 60- 5 =55. 55/2= 27.5 grams as a second guess to get an average of 20 grams.

The math MGH posted ----

first guess + 2 X second guess divided by 3 = weighted (winning) number

MGH example --- 5 + 2 X 15 = 35 divided by 3 = 11.67

I think there is 21 grams in second pic

So --- 18 + 2 X 21 = 60 divided by 3 = 20 --- THE WINNING NUMBER :shock: :!: :lol: :mrgreen:

Of course that is still just a guess - I just "hope" it's the winning number :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the contest MGH & for twisting my head with the math :twisted:

Kurt

If I understand this contest right MGH will pick the winner by the following math

3 times your second number = A --- then subtract first number from A = B --- then divide B by 2 = X

If X is the closest to his actual yield then you are the winner

My example; - 20 (my second #) X 3 = 60 - 18 (my first #) = 42/2 = 21

so if 21 is closest to MGH actual yield 21 would be the winning #

MGH - do I have the math right :?:

Kurt

Hi Kurtak, if you think the final yield in the picture is 21g, then your second guess needs to be “22.5g”, because:
(18 + 2 x 22.5) / 3 = 21

I know I won't win because I didn't want to change any of my number. If I knew it was going to be that hard I wouldn't even try to play.

kurtak said:
MGH - do I have the math right :?:

Kurt, I think you got a little tripped up. Striker33 has it right. If you want your final calculated, winning number guess to be higher than your first guess, then your second guess - the one to post in this thread - will need to be at least a little higher than what you want the final calculated number to be.

In your case, if you think there is 21g of gold sitting on that watch glass, then yes, make your second guess 22.5g

MGH said:
In your case, if you think there is 21g of gold sitting on that watch glass, then yes, make your second guess 22.5g

Yes - I think there is 21 grams sitting on the watch glass

so 22.5 is my number

Kurt

Great job on the refine MGH and thanks again for the contest. This was fun, but I wish you would have given us a picture of a button to guess on because then I could use an equation to help me get the final volume! My second guess is 29.5g.

Back