Tin refining process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissGold

Hello,
I have around 1000 kilo of Tin scrap which contain 85% or more of Tin.
I already know the electrolyte. I know as well that i need 0.3 V from cathode to anode.
However, in the procedure it's written that i need 100 A/m2. How could i obtain that?
I have 12V transformateur, with 30 Amp. 360 W.

Thanks!

Unless your tin has values contained amongst it why bother?
I’m sure you could just sell the tin as scrap and work with higher value material unless you have a use for the tin once refined.

The surface area of scrap in sq.m. needs to be calculated, and doubled by 100 to get amperage. I wonder about the 0.3V which looks too low even for over voltage ( a voltage where the process starts)

nickvc said:
Unless your tin has values contained amongst it why bother?
I’m sure you could just sell the tin as scrap and work with higher value material unless you have a use for the tin once refined.

I am buying it with low price and want to refine and sell it at 99%
Refiner for Tin they buy it 50% lower and sell 50% higher than spot price.

Lino1406 said:
The surface area of scrap in sq.m. needs to be calculated, and doubled by 100 to get amperage. I wander about the 0.3V which looks too low even for over voltage ( a voltage where the process starts)

I found it in an engerial processing...they were talking about 0.3 V and 100A/m2
Best would be that i give it a try...I will doing it soon

why don't dissolving simply in HCL untill fully saturated? The Pb and Cu will cement on new solder addition.. Sn will constantly push Pb and Cu out of solution. Traces of silver will not dissolve... than simply rig to 12v battery and electrowining the pure Sn. Assuming you want to refine solder rolls containing Pb Cu Ag

alexxx said:
why don't dissolving simply in HCL untill fully saturated? The Pb and Cu will cement on new solder addition.. Sn will constantly push Pb and Cu out of solution. Traces of silver will not dissolve... than simply rig to 12v battery and electrowining the pure Sn. Assuming you want to refine solder rolls containing Pb Cu Ag

It will need lot of HCl and when you recover, you may generate lot of Cl2 which is toxic.
I, reading a copper process which is in this forum and it looks very interessting.
I will give a try with picture.

Back