tissue paper impregnated with rh sulphate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i feel the need to ask this. how did the tissue become impregnated with Rh.

i dont have much experience with Rh, all i have is in my stock pot. i would imagine its the same as processing filter papers.

Geo, fantasy jewllery is plated with rh plating solution, with a plating pen-----the tips of this pens needs to be cleaned often, and the girls do the cleaning with tissue paper---at the end of the day,one ends with many kilos of tissue paper impregnated withrh sulphate----
the plating industry here is very active and at the end of a month the tissue papers amounts to more then 50kilos---- thanks for the questions--
regards
Arthur

I assume you want to do this to to keep the rhodium sulfate as rhodium sulfate. What about soaking them in some distilled water acidified with just a very small amount of sulfuric? You could then rinse the papers and squeeze them out. If the solution ends up too dilute, you could maybe evaporate it slowly.

goldsilverpro said:
I assume you want to do this to to keep the rhodium sulfate as rhodium sulfate. What about soaking them in some distilled water acidified with just a very small amount of sulfuric? You could then rinse the papers and squeeze them out. If the solution ends up too dilute, you could maybe evaporate it slowly.

That is exactly what I was thinking, dissolve away the tissue paper with weak sulfuric acid. I want to make sure I understand this correctly however so I have my own question. Does concentrated Sulfuric Acid attack Rh? Under what conditions does it attack Rh, and not. Can you make a solution of sulfuric acid that would dissolve the organic material and leave behind Rh?

Scott

A common formula for a decorative rhodium plating solution is: 1.3-2g/l rhodium, as rhodium sulfate, and 25-80ml/l of concentrated sulfuric acid.

I don't think that weak hot sulfuric will dissolve the paper. It will pulp it, though. Instead of doing that, I was suggesting simply "washing" the paper with very weak room temp sulfuric. That way, he would end up rhodium sulfate (which he wants) dissolved in weak sulfuric. No chemical reaction would be involved.

goldsilverpro said:
A common formula for a decorative rhodium plating solution is: 1.3-2g/l rhodium, as rhodium sulfate, and 25-80ml/l of concentrated sulfuric acid.

I don't think that weak hot sulfuric will dissolve the paper. It will pulp it, though. Instead of doing that, I was suggesting simply "washing" the paper with very weak room temp sulfuric. That way, he would end up rhodium sulfate (which he wants) dissolved in weak sulfuric. No chemical reaction would be involved.

Thank you for clarifying that. If the paper was pulped, that seems like it would make filtering it very difficult. It seems your method is best even if the end intent was to recover the Rhodium and not to use it as a plating solution.

Thank you again,

Scott

Geo said:
you can use a charmin plug made of fiberglass and vacuum filter.

Charmin plug? I'm not sure what you are referring to Geo, and I hope I don't feel like a complete idiot when you do explain it. It sounds to me like a toilet paper roll plug coated in fiberglass, but I don't think that's what you are talking about.

My Brother Inlaw is from Jordan, when he asked my sister to marry him, they traveled with my mother to Oklahoma to meet my great grandmother and my relatives that like there as well. Not living in the United States very long, he was and sometimes still is fairly gullible. He was born here, but lived until age 22 in Jordan and things there are very very different. My great uncle is a huge prankster and pulled a big southern tale about jackalope, on my brother inlaw. He was teased and tricked, over and over so when my great grandmother asked him one night at the supper table if he knew what a horny toad was, he sheepishly replied that he did. You see, he wasn't going to be tricked again, and certainly not by my great grandmother. So she asked him what he thought a horny toad was, and he replied "when one toad is on top of another". He had never seen a horny toad before. My great grandmother, then 96 years of age, laughed so hard she fell out of her seat.

I hope I haven't made the same mistake here myself, and if you laugh, I don't want to hear you laughed yourself out of your seat. I know it's probably not the cardboard leftover plug from a roll of charmin bathroom tissue, but I am curious what you are referring to.

I use buchner filters and nerd paper with a vacuum pump. The equipment was part of a lot that I purchased, so I picked everything up dirt dirt cheap.

Scott

a charmim plug is generally a wad of toilet paper or paper towel pushed into the top of a funnel and the solution is poured in the funnel and the plug acts as a filter. its very slow but does a good job on most solutions. sulfuric acid on the other hand attacks organics and paper filters of any kind will not hold up to sulfur acid long enough for the plug to be effective. fiberglass is not effected by the sulfuric acid, so you take a wad of fiberglass and push it into the top of the funnel and there you go. a charmin plug made of fiberglass. if you add vacuum to the setup, it will make filtering a lot faster. it should filter out paper pulp from the solution very effectively.

Geo said:
a charmim plug is generally a wad of toilet paper or paper towel pushed into the top of a funnel and the solution is poured in the funnel and the plug acts as a filter. its very slow but does a good job on most solutions. sulfuric acid on the other hand attacks organics and paper filters of any kind will not hold up to sulfur acid long enough for the plug to be effective. fiberglass is not effected by the sulfuric acid, so you take a wad of fiberglass and push it into the top of the funnel and there you go. a charmin plug made of fiberglass. if you add vacuum to the setup, it will make filtering a lot faster. it should filter out paper pulp from the solution very effectively.

Thanks Geo for explaining that one to me, makes perfect sense after you explained it, I imagine it works really well for paper pulp, I'll have to try it.

Thanks again

Scott

According to Ammen, Rh sulfate is soluble in distilled H2O and is refined by repeated dissolution and evaporation to crystals. The resulting Rh sulfate should be able to be used to either replenish depleted or formulate fresh plating solution.
I successfully precipitated lovely Rh "needles" (crystals) using die-cast zinc EMT fittings. I then washed the precipitate with either concentrated HCl or dilute nitric, don't remember which.
just my dos centavos.
dtectr

Latest posts

Back