Tom here from Sunny South Florida

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metatp

Hi everyone. Just want to say thanks to all the posts here. They are very helpful. I am new to refining, but I have about 7 lbs of silver powder from Silver epoxy I got about 20 years ago. My daughter just finished chemistry, so I thought this would be a great project to show how refining silver works, especially the cementing with copper. I really enjoyed the videos.

Tom

Welcome to the forum.

You wouldn't happen to have the name of the epoxy would you.

I think it was metalmayhem who was asking the same type of question about a month ago. I don;t think it's a simple process.

aflacglobal:

I don't have the name, because I immediately placed it in solvent to remove the epoxy before it cured. I believe it was an 80% silver epoxy. We also used gold, but someone more senior than I always grabbed before it came to me.

Sorry,
Tom

I wonder if it is the same company that makes the silver and gold conducting pastes used for ''fixing'' a sample to an SEM stage? The sample has to be conductive, and sometimes you don't or can't sputter coat it before imaging or perhaps you can get away without it.

It's not an epoxy, more of dispersion of silver powder.

What we used is definitely an epoxy. That was my job. It was an epoxy base with I believe 80% silver that we mixed with the catalyst just before using. We would then use it to adhesive electronic parts that needed electrical conductivity. We used it for government contracted on communication equipment in the mid 80's.

At my current place of employment, we don't use anything like this for the SEM. BTW. The company uses a lot of platinum wire. I wish they through some of that away.

Tom

Do you PVD your samples, or do you have an ESEM?

The paste was used for things that were already decently conductive.

Back