Toxic smoke control in inceneration

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin

No smoke came out? Where did it go? Have you got a fume extraction system on the back of it?

Smoke is incomplete combustion of material, if material or gases produced from incineration are more completely combusted there will be very little smoke, for this normally the temperature and correct air is needed for complete combustion, after burners are normally used to re-burn the the smoke from the initial combustion process, to achieve a more complete combustion.

A waste incinerator can be designed to give as complete a combustion as possible in the initial combustion chamber with the proper air fuel ratio, then the after burner will re-burn the the flue gases (smoke) of the main combustion chamber to give a more complete combustion of these gases.

If you look at the unit picture on top of it is the after burner unit reaching 1200c temperature, the owner turned it on before the incineratin burning unit, so when I put the shredded boards inside the unit, very little smokes came out, but in 10 mintues the guy opened the gate just a little it was filled with black smoke, so it was obvious sfter burner which is located right above the main burner does it job, later on he told me the damper thst would allow the exit of smokes from after burner was fully open, he is going to close it half way so the retaining time in the after burner will be more than 2 seconds, that should take care of the tiny amount of smokes that came out at very first.
He is going to do some test and change some settings iwht this unit so it will completely eliminate any visible smokes, then check the exit pipe with a friend who works with EPA officer to measure the junk that come out of the hood.
The cost for it is USD 5000.

Best regards,
Kevin

I'm sorry please allow me to rephrase the question.I meant waste product in the air not smoke. i.e the toxic product of the incineration whether visible or not.

I see that it's already mostly been answered as "straight out the pipe."

complete combustion will not remove all of the toxic product, but will lower them to a much safer value, with most of the worst toxins incinerated in the combustion process, there will be some fly-ash in the flue exhaust, which could consist of toxic metal in the dust particles.

Yeah I'm with you here Butcher. That incinerator was working in a built up area, and all the questions on the multiple threads have been based around tonnes of product per day.

Hence my question, because it had come across (not from you) that if there was no smoke it was ok. Which we know it isn't.

This is an IC in the bunch I incinerated using the waste incinerator, please advise if this is complete incineration.

image.jpg

Thanks
Kevin

butcher said:
Does it smoke more when you heat it with a torch, basically once all carbonous material is burnt to ash it can be considered completely incinerated.

I have not tried your method of using a torch on ashes, but all ICs have turned to white grayish color. The owner of incinerator told me burning for 50 minutes would eliminate 96% of carbons in the materials.

Regards
Kevin

rickbb said:
And if I'm not mistaken it should easily crush to powder when completed.

Edited to correct spelling.

It still partially elastic and wont crush since I cooked it for 20 mintues or so, They should be in there at least for 50 mintues at 900c.

Regards
Kevin

Depending on the material it may take longer to cook it completely thick dense material may cook on the outside and still be uncooked on the inside.

The Integrated Circuit chip in your hand looks cooked to ash on the outside, some of these are a dense plastic type material, I cannot tell from here by the picture if it is cooked all the way through, try crushing it and heat it with a torch, if it is hard to crush and the powder smokes under the flame of the torch, you have the answer.
Ceramic can be hard to crush, and is hard, but it will not smoke or burn when heated giving off smoke unless carbonous material is involved.

Chips seem to take a LOOOOONG time to completely incinerate. I've held a (propane/air) torch to a single small chip as a test, for well over 10 minutes, and it looked beautifully white on the outside... But that proved nothing but a half-mm coating, with the majority of the chip still just fine.

on a pan in the coals with a good strong fire going around it, overnight, I find that almost does the job. I think problem comes from the outer layer of white acting to insulate everything inside.

For my next batch, I plan to roast them for a few hours, crush them, then put 'em back in overnight. I suspect that will do the trick, leaving nothing but metal and white ash. On the bright side, after the first half hour, they basically stop outgassing nasty things - I wouldn't stick my nose right in the ash, but they don't stink up the place, so you can work with them a little).

I've been incinerating mine like cooking stew, stir it once in a while, just don't taste test it.

All,

I learned ICs should be white color from top to the inside in order to complete incineration, how about other components? Besides being crunchy is there any other signs they are completed incinerated?

I took photo of sample boards I incinerated as you can see in the bottom, and the ones I melted using induction furnace on top of it, color is a little bit gray.

image.jpg

Best regards,
Kevin

kjavanb123 said:
I finally received the analysis for smokes coming out of the incinerator
Any chance you could translate the good bits of that for us?

chlaurite said:
For my next batch, I plan to roast them for a few hours, crush them, then put 'em back in overnight.
Just a followup: That worked amazingly well.

I used a shallow stainless steel pan (1x4x9) and filled it with chips (mixed NBs, GPUs, and RAM). Worked up a good bed of coals in the stove, packed it with three fresh medium-size logs, one along the back wall and one on each side; then slid the pan right down the middle and let it cook.

An hour later, once those three logs turned to coals, I took out the pan (no odor, everything volatile had long since burned off) and gently crushed the chips with a 2x2 - Didn't try to mash them into dust, just break them up into gravel. At that point, the chips still had a lot of black on the insides, but they broke up easily enough.

Set up three more logs, put it back in the stove overnight, and by morning, I had nothing but pins, heat spreaders, wafers, wires, and white powder. 8) Oh, and the weirdest thing, a small number of chips (larger square ones, don't know which kind) have a fiberglass mat in them that doesn't burn away.

And for the record, my stove does have reburner tubes in it - Everything gets burned twice, once as wood (or chips) at the bottom, then again mixed with heated fresh air. Supposedly it only makes something like 0.7g of creosote per hour - I don't know about that, but I can attest to the fact that after four years, the inside of my chimney still looks clean enough to eat off. Now that the EPA actually requires stoves like that, I expect "chimney sweep" as a profession will become as common as "buggy whip manufacturer". :mrgreen:

There's no translation needed Chlaurite because the numbers and chemical formulae say it all.

Toxic as hell.

The Arabic is irrelevant Sir.

spaceships said:
There's no translation needed Chlaurite because the numbers and chemical formulae say it all.

Toxic as hell.

The Arabic is irrelevant Sir.
Correct. Anything of importance is displayed in clear and concise English.

Harold

Back