Trouble precipitating AR solution w/Cu

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Novak

Supporting Member
I think I'm just missing something simple. But couldn't find it through searching...doh!

Or maybe I'm trying to do the impossible?

Using regular old AR solution method for dissolving Ag and Au, Filter as normal, use a bit of Sulfamic to kill Nitrate, then drop gold with SMB. Trying to precipitate the Silver out of the solution after filtering out the gold precipitate, but after days with (6 gauge coiled copper wire) on the bubbler I'm getting nothing even from known pregnant solutions.

Do I need to add a shot of Nitric to the solution to kickstart the silver precipitating?

Or - go to Nitric first, take that solution off, then go to AR for the gold? Maybe I just have the process backwards....because I'm an idiot LOL

Thoughts?

I knew it was something about me being an idiot
Don't be too hard on yourself. There are so many different scrap types and so many different processes all tailored to each scrap type that are discussed on this forum it is easy to be confused. That is why it is important to be specific about what you are refining as well as being specific about your ability to attain acids.

In your case for this thread, I assume karat jewelry. A lot of refiners would say inquart with Silver and part with nitric acid. That's how you get all of the silver removed before using aqua regia on the gold remaining. But what if you cannot either afford or acquire the nitric acid to do this effectively? Well then you just melt it together to make the Silver content as homogenous as possible and, if it's typical jewelry it should be below 8% Silver and you will be OK. The silver, which will coat a small amount of the gold (but at 8% not too bad considering you can recover it later) will be Silver Chloride on your filter paper and the Gold comes out exactly as you did it.

So you can see, every type of scrap and every refiners circumstances are a little different. That is why explaining what you start with and what you have available matters.

I think you can sit back and relax and consider it a job well done under the circumstances. Now if you do the same thing a second time, we can discuss the use of the word idiot!

Latest posts

Back