trouble with smb

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shel8483

Heres the problem
Pulled gold foils off circut boards with hcl/peroxide
cleaned and rinsed foils
disolved gold with hcl/cloroc
Got the dark gold solution
filtered it. let it sit overnight . diluted 3 to 1 with tap water (Maybe a problem had no distilled)
Added smb a3 grams with water mix.
Yellow turned clear like it should.but no muddy color appeared until sometime later. now the solution turned a dirty brown (gold I presume)
But it is suspended. Not much yield .then added more water 1 cup nothing happened. So now letting it sit. Yield should have been about 1 gram. Do I need to save my foils for a big drop. How much can a 1/2 cup hcl/bleach hold. Solutoin still teste pos. with stannus. almost instant color change. Should solution be cold or hot . use saturated smb solution. is my smb bad?Any tips would be appreciated .How should this reaction look in realtime in 70 degree weather.

When you added your SMB was there a smell of sulphur? If so then it sounds like your SMB is ok.
With a little heat added you will drive off any remaining chlorine from the solution which could be re dissolving the gold preventing it from precipitating, you will need to add more SMB because the heating will also drive off any SO2 present in the solution.

Latest posts

Back