TV station

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have gotten access to truck loads of AV boards from a TV station that is remodeling/updating thier equipment.

My question is if I could just recover the gold by dissolving the pins and stuff with nitric without dissolving the gold. I want to melt the gold into bars to sell. I did not want to refine per se because I know that I would not get the refined price anyways, so i just want to get the gold into bars with as little fuss as possible because I have so much to process.

I need to process this stuff quickly as I have a partner to split with and no room to store the loads of boards.

Thanks

Jim

The partner is bringing down a sample to me on Wednesday when we go to put a new compressor in at one of my resturuants. (no I do not own them I work for them) :lol:

I will post then. I have not hands on seen the the stuff I am expecting maybe and email with some tonight.

Jim

Some of the best electronic scrap I have run came from a TV station that closed down. However, that happened about 15 to 20 years ago and the equipment was made in the early 50s.

Rag and Bone said:
If you want to get rid of it quickly why don't you sell it on ebay. Or, sell it to someone on the forum who has the time to do it right.

Mostly because I want to keep my share as gold, he wants money, this was the best quick idea I could come up with.

Can anyone give me a guestitmate on the purity of the coating/plating on the fingers and pins.

just want to know if it is 20k, 22k or whatever.

thanks

Jim

Thanks, GSP. The other guy is asking me about values, I tried to tell him that I do not know until I see and sample. He just sees lots and lots of shinny gold pins sticking out everywere and truck loads of them. Man, I wonder if that is what it was like back in '49.

Jim

Got a sample of 5 boards today, 1 board is all slots that the cards plug into
I got the test pins off of 4 boards, they do not ben, but brake and a small pile is nearly 4 oz. The one I tried to bend, I can actually see the thickness of the gold with a 3 x magnifier and it looks like at least 25percent of the thickness is the gold plating.

I have pictures will try and post.

Jim

I can not get the picturs to work, I got them to my pc but I can not get them on the forum, they may be too large, I do not know how to shrink them.

Jim

The connectors that the pins plug into, springy things, are also completely
plated and there are over 400 per board, there are about 20 test pins that are heavily plated on each board. The test pins are very heavy for the size, like lead in the hand.

What could the cores of the test pins be made of, they are silver looking.

I should add that each board other than the slot connector boards have 2 double sided rows of fingers, the rows are about 5 - 6 inches long each, and about 1/2 wide.

Start > Run > Type "mspaint"

Go

File > Open > "Desired Image"

Then

File > Save As > Type in a file name, just under that click the "Drop-Down Arrow" box and select JPEG. Then click save. Make sure you save it in another folder though.

This might work if your camera takes pics in other formats.

If they are already JPEG's or you're on another platform like GNU/Linux, BSD or MAC then let me know.

Good Luck

Gonna try pictures again.
Got the picture but it is too large, how do I shrink?

although there is a lot of pins they are of the lighest coating thickness.
The gold floated of in tiny little fluff, even before the nitric had dissolved
the pin.

Jim

there is some bluish/purplish powder in the bottom of the cantainer with the gold foils, it does not dissolve in water. I think it is a lead/tin compound from the solder, how do I seperate it from the gold foils without
contaminating my gold? The powder must be fairly dense as it settles as fast as the gold.

Jim

Latest posts

Back