Two methods of processing silver plated parts compared

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alondro

Supporting Member
I tested solutions made from silver plated parts processed in 2 different ways to deal with base metal:
Batch #1: about 10 grams of plated parts were soaked in roughly half the volume of sulfuric acid required to dissolve that mass (assuming it was 100% copper to calculate the moles required) and warmed slowly for several hours to 100C, then cooled and allowed to react for a week.

Batch #2: same mass of parts was submerged in an excess of HCl with a little copper chloride added, and allowed to sit for a week.
I then washed both with distilled water, making sure to settle and save any powders (silver could be present). I then separated the powders and remaining solid metal/ceramic from both trials and dissolved each of the 4 resulting masses with 50% nitric acid in separate tubes.

After all metal dissolved as completely as possible, I then settled down the solutions, poured the clear solutions into new tubes, and added salt water to drop silver chloride.
Results: The powder resulting from the sulfuric acid step contained all detectable silver from the parts. The remaining base metal fraction had no detectable silver whatsoever. The HCl method did not achieve a separation. Some flakes of silver ended up in the powder, but much was still left on the base metal that remained, and some had converted to silver chloride initially in the HCl, as determined by a some of the white residue turning grey upon exposure to sunlight. The sulfuric acid method cleanly split silver from the remaining base metal, and left it entirely to be found in the powders with not a trace left in the base metal. The HCl method did not accomplish this, and left the silver mixed with other metals, and turned some into a silver chloride initially mixed in with waste gunk and ceramic powder from certain parts. Thus, to recover silver with the HCl method, it is necessary to use far more acid to completely dissolve all base metals. But, some silver is lost as silver chloride mixed into insoluble waste (ceramics, other insoluble metal chlorides, etc). Recovery of this silver would require chemically transforming the silver chloride into silver oxide, and then smelting out the silver from the waste.

Conclusion: sulfuric acid stripping is the superior 1st step method for plated silver. Much less acid is required, and since the silver reforms tiny crystals which fall off remaining base metal in the initial dissolution when allowed to sit, the silver powder can be mechanically separated successfully from the remaining base metal parts by stirring vigorously to dislodge all the silver crystal powder, then simply washing it through a sieve which catches all the larger base metal and ceramic pieces. This powder, while still containing a small amount of copper, is much more highly concentrated in silver, and therefore requires a much smaller amount of nitric acid to dissolve the silver for purification, as compared to the HCl method, and uses only a tiny fraction of the nitric acid which would be required to dissolve all the parts completely. It also avoids the metastannic issue.

The sulfuric acid step must be done outside to clear SO2 gas, combined with a gas capture setup, or performed in a ventilation hood. However, since concentrated HCl also fumes heavily and its vapors are corrosive and damaging to respiration and objects, that process must also be conducted in similar fashion. Therefore, there is no added disadvantage to sulfuric acid in that regard. As a plus to the waste stream, the sulfate salts left over are far less hygroscopic than the chlorides and can be easily dried to powder for disposal. Copper displaces iron just as well in copper sulfate solution as in copper chloride solution.

I tested solutions made from silver plated parts processed in 2 different ways to deal with base metal:
Batch #1: about 10 grams of plated parts were soaked in roughly half the volume of sulfuric acid required to dissolve that mass (assuming it was 100% copper to calculate the moles required) and warmed slowly for several hours to 100C, then cooled and allowed to react for a week.

Batch #2: same mass of parts was submerged in an excess of HCl with a little copper chloride added, and allowed to sit for a week.
I then washed both with distilled water, making sure to settle and save any powders (silver could be present). I then separated the powders and remaining solid metal/ceramic from both trials and dissolved each of the 4 resulting masses with 50% nitric acid in separate tubes.

After all metal dissolved as completely as possible, I then settled down the solutions, poured the clear solutions into new tubes, and added salt water to drop silver chloride.
Results: The powder resulting from the sulfuric acid step contained all detectable silver from the parts. The remaining base metal fraction had no detectable silver whatsoever. The HCl method did not achieve a separation. Some flakes of silver ended up in the powder, but much was still left on the base metal that remained, and some had converted to silver chloride initially in the HCl, as determined by a some of the white residue turning grey upon exposure to sunlight. The sulfuric acid method cleanly split silver from the remaining base metal, and left it entirely to be found in the powders with not a trace left in the base metal. The HCl method did not accomplish this, and left the silver mixed with other metals, and turned some into a silver chloride initially mixed in with waste gunk and ceramic powder from certain parts. Thus, to recover silver with the HCl method, it is necessary to use far more acid to completely dissolve all base metals. But, some silver is lost as silver chloride mixed into insoluble waste (ceramics, other insoluble metal chlorides, etc). Recovery of this silver would require chemically transforming the silver chloride into silver oxide, and then smelting out the silver from the waste.

Conclusion: sulfuric acid stripping is the superior 1st step method for plated silver. Much less acid is required, and since the silver reforms tiny crystals which fall off remaining base metal in the initial dissolution when allowed to sit, the silver powder can be mechanically separated successfully from the remaining base metal parts by stirring vigorously to dislodge all the silver crystal powder, then simply washing it through a sieve which catches all the larger base metal and ceramic pieces. This powder, while still containing a small amount of copper, is much more highly concentrated in silver, and therefore requires a much smaller amount of nitric acid to dissolve the silver for purification, as compared to the HCl method, and uses only a tiny fraction of the nitric acid which would be required to dissolve all the parts completely. It also avoids the metastannic issue.

The sulfuric acid step must be done outside to clear SO2 gas, combined with a gas capture setup, or performed in a ventilation hood. However, since concentrated HCl also fumes heavily and its vapors are corrosive and damaging to respiration and objects, that process must also be conducted in similar fashion. Therefore, there is no added disadvantage to sulfuric acid in that regard. As a plus to the waste stream, the sulfate salts left over are far less hygroscopic than the chlorides and can be easily dried to powder for disposal. Copper displaces iron just as well in copper sulfate solution as in copper chloride solution.
I do not see reference to silver dissolution by hot sulfuric acid.
What is meant by "copper displacing iron"?

Conclusion: sulfuric acid stripping is the superior 1st step method for plated silver.
IMO - IF (the BIG IF) you are going to chase after silver plating in the first place there is only one way to do it that makes economical sense & that is using a plain old tap water cell --------------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/processing-silverplate-with-h2o-cell.16591/
Why ?

1) it uses nothing but plain old tap water - so NO cost for chems of any kind

2) NO toxic chem waste to deal with in order to make safe for disposal

3) you have scrap copper &/or brass to sell after stripping the silver

4) You do have the cost of electric to run the power supply - but that is very minimal compared cost of other (chem) processes

When you read the above thread/link --- read just the original post by modtheworld44 - then - around page 7 look for things posted by solar_plasma as he took a deep dive into it & was quite successful on a relatively large scale

Kurt

Indeed, if the material comes for free, there are tweaks to do electro-stripping more efficient, but this also means you will end up dissolving silver into ammonia solution - and this can be very dangerous endeavor.

Also, sulfuric/nitric stripping followed by Ag2SO4 crystallization from mother liquors is doable, but this has obvious disadvantages like working with concentrated sulfuric acid "preferrably" at elevated temperatures.

The method Kurt links to will work. Not as completely as hot sulphuric, but far safer with very little waste. It is, in my opinion, the most efficient in terms of total costs.

Advantages: No need to wash out acids. Purity is such that the experienced can melt and move directly to the silver cell.

Disadvantages: Like all other methods other than mechanical, it needs constant attention due do possible dissolution of the underlying metal.

All in all, the water cell for removal of silver plating is best. The learning curve is short. It is far more forgiving than any chemical method. It is probably the only method I may be willing to utilize in the suburban neighborhood after moving to Texas last summer.

Time for more coffee.

If the parts you are processing are copper based I would suggest a copper cell would be far simpler method with the advantage of having decent copper at the end and with little to no time spent processing except when dealing with the slimes.

If the parts you are processing are copper based I would suggest a copper cell would be far simpler method with the advantage of having decent copper at the end and with little to no time spent processing except when dealing with the slimes.
I guess this goes when the plated base is copper based, but that is not always the case is it?

Я протестировал решения, изготовленные из посеребренных деталей, обработанных двумя различными способами работы с недрагоценным металлом:
Партия № 1: около 10 грамм гальванических деталей замачивали примерно в половине объема серной кислоты, необходимой для растворения этой массы (при условии, что это 100% медь для расчета необходимого количества молей) и медленно нагревали в течение нескольких часов до 100°С, затем охлаждали и дали отреагировать на неделю.

Партия № 2: ту же массу деталей погрузили в избыток HCl с добавлением небольшого количества хлорида меди и оставили на неделю.
Затем я промыл обе части дистиллированной водой, стараясь отстоять и сохранить порошки (может присутствовать серебро). Затем я отделил порошки и оставшийся твердый металл/керамику из обоих проб и растворил каждую из 4 полученных масс 50% азотной кислотой в отдельных пробирках.

После того, как весь металл растворился как можно полностью, я отстоял растворы, перелил прозрачные растворы в новые пробирки и добавил соленую воду, чтобы капнуть хлорид серебра.
Результаты: Порошок, полученный на этапе обработки серной кислотой, содержал все обнаруживаемое серебро в деталях. Оставшаяся фракция неблагородного металла вообще не содержала обнаруживаемого серебра. Метод HCl не позволил добиться разделения. Некоторые хлопья серебра оказались в порошке, но большая их часть все еще оставалась на оставшемся основном металле, а некоторые первоначально превратились в хлорид серебра в HCl, что было определено по тому, что часть белого остатка стала серой под воздействием солнечного света. Метод серной кислоты чисто отделил серебро от оставшегося основного металла и оставил его полностью в порошках, не оставив и следа в основном металле. Метод HCl не позволил добиться этого, серебро осталось смешанным с другими металлами, а часть серебра превратилась в хлорид серебра, первоначально смешанный с отходами и керамическим порошком из определенных частей. Таким образом, Чтобы восстановить серебро методом HCl, необходимо использовать гораздо больше кислоты, чтобы полностью растворить все неблагородные металлы. Однако некоторая часть серебра теряется в результате смешивания хлорида серебра с нерастворимыми отходами (керамика, другие нерастворимые хлориды металлов и т. д.). Для восстановления этого серебра потребуется химическое преобразование хлорида серебра в оксид серебра, а затем выплавка серебра из отходов.

Вывод: очистка серной кислоты является лучшей на первом этапе очистки серебра. Требуется гораздо меньше кислот, поскольку серебро образует крохотные кристаллы, которые при первоначальном растворении отпадают от оставшегося недрагоценного металла, когда ему дают отстояться, серебряный порошок можно успешно механически отделить от оставшихся частей недрагоценного движения путем энергичного растворения, чтобы выбить все серебро. кристаллический порошок, а затем просто промываю его через сито, которое улавливает все крупные частицы недрагоценных металлов и керамики. Этот порошок, хотя и содержит небольшое количество меди, содержит гораздо больше серебра и, следовательно, требует гораздо меньшего количества азотных кислот для растворения серебра для очистки по сравнению с методом HCl, и использует лишь небольшое количество фракций.

Этап серной кислоты должен выполняться снаружи для удаления газа SO2 одновременно с установкой улавливания газа или в вытяжном шкафу. Однако, поскольку концентрированная HCl также сильно дымит, а ее пары вызывают коррозию и повреждают дыхание и предметы, этот процесс также необходимо проводить аналогичным образом. Таким образом, в этом отношении у серной кислоты нет недостатков. Преимущество к потоку отходов состоит в том, что сульфатные соли гораздо менее гигроскопичны, чем хлориды, и их можно легко высушить до порошка для утилизации. Медь вытесняет железо в растворе медного купороса так же хорошо, как и в растворе хлорида меди.

if there is silver plated in plastic? What to do?

Completely burn the plastic to ash if you cannot remove it easily with tools. There are several different incineration methods to use that won't result in lost metal. The plastic must be ash. Any carbon left over will interfere with recovering metals. It doesn't matter if the metal all melts into one mass, since the chemical process is still the same after that.

Silver plated IN or ON plastic?

If its ON plastic it is most likely AgNO3 sprayed on plastic, just as mirrors are made, with a clear lacker coating for surface protection. First you have to soak (submerge) the plastic in some solvent (general paint solvent will do the trick) to remove the lacker coating after that soak(submerge a few times) the plastic in HNO3 to remove the plating. Discrad plastic accordingly.

Note that the quantity of the silver is very low even if the surface is a large surface. Only do this if you have large quantity of material since you need a large amount of solvent and acid to soak (submerge) the parts.

Warning! Some plastics will react with the paint solvent so check first if the plastic in non-reactive with the solvent that you will use to remove the lacker coating.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Alondro, thanks for taking the time to do the comparison and sharing it here.

I would definitely prefer using the water reverse plating method that Kurt mentioned, when recovering Silver from larger silver plated objects.

However, am I right in saying that you used electrical contacts that were silver plated in your comparison experiment?

I think that your sulphuric acid method can be very useful, especially if it takes care of tin.

Alondro, thanks for taking the time to do the comparison and sharing it here.

I would definitely prefer using the water reverse plating method that Kurt mentioned, when recovering Silver from larger silver plated objects.

However, am I right in saying that you used electrical contacts that were silver plated in your comparison experiment?

I think that your sulphuric acid method can be very useful, especially if it takes care of tin.
Yes, they were all tiny electronics parts, hundreds of them, often over brass, with tin solder present.

Hence, a water cell would be quite impractical.

Tin sulfate is highly soluble in aqueous solutions, and is easily washed away.

I'd need to do some more tests to determine what the minimum time for the reaction and cementation of the silver back upon the remaining base metal would be. A week seems a bit long, but it's hard to calculate the best time without a known mass of silver to start with and compare to the recovery when the process is done at different lengths of time. The plated parts will all have highly variable amounts of silver, obviously. So, I'll just keep it at a week when I do a larger batch. I'm waiting until I have all by boards stripped down, since most of them have some of these silver-plated bits here and there.

The other thing I COULD do is melt them all into a bar and use electrolysis with a copper chloride cell, which would drop all the silver under the anode as silver chloride.

Yes, they were all tiny electronics parts, hundreds of them, often over brass, with tin solder present.

Hence, a water cell would be quite impractical.

Tin sulfate is highly soluble in aqueous solutions, and is easily washed away.

I'd need to do some more tests to determine what the minimum time for the reaction and cementation of the silver back upon the remaining base metal would be. A week seems a bit long, but it's hard to calculate the best time without a known mass of silver to start with and compare to the recovery when the process is done at different lengths of time. The plated parts will all have highly variable amounts of silver, obviously. So, I'll just keep it at a week when I do a larger batch. I'm waiting until I have all by boards stripped down, since most of them have some of these silver-plated bits here and there.

The other thing I COULD do is melt them all into a bar and use electrolysis with a copper chloride cell, which would drop all the silver under the anode as silver chloride.
I just want to make sure one thing - sulfuric acid you are reffering to is concentrated sulfuric acid, right ? Like >93% sulfuric acid. Am I correct ?

From practical standpoint for smaller scale setups dealing with several kilogram quantity of plated items, that come in various compositions of base metals etc. I would go with plain sulfuric acid strip.
Sulfuric acid in bulk is relatively cheap (here like 4eur/L of 96% techgrade stuff, 10L canister), and you can use the leaching acid for multiple batches in row, and only then process the pregnant acid to get silver.

Investment in terms of money would be energy for heating the pot and sulfuric acid used. Of course, biggest investment is your time. Regular plating that I encountered through my refining career was around 1-4 wt% of the plated stuff. Meaning 10-40g/kg silver. Most of the times, material came nearly for free or at the price of base metal (usually brass or bronze). Or you obtained the material during dismantling stuff like breakers, relays or some connections on PCBs... If you manage to get this material this cheap, then I do not see any obstacles in making it economically viable in some cases. You will sell the base metal material anyway, and keep silver as profit.

Biggest issue with silver plated pieces of metal is that they come in various compositions and most of the times base metal isn´t pure copper. Meaning electrowinning copper without pyrometallurgic pre-treatment of the metal is nearly impossible. And pyro-treatment in semi-mid-scale somewhere in the backyard of your house just do not sound good.

As you said, reprecipitation of silver can occur, but silver cementing on copper materials is detached easily, and some shaking will easily detach like 99% of it. I recommend ultrasonic cleaner to detach cemented metals from surfaces. Works nicely.

Personally, I still have quite a bit of plated scrap. Mainly from USSR RF equipment - heavily plated casings of RF modules, connectors, "faston" like connectors from relays or just silver plated pieces of solid brass used for whatever purpose. This material average around 6-7% Ag per weight, making it relatively nice to process. I also have some lower grade stuff like smaller quantity of Ag plated braided wires (1-2% Ag), and metal parts from breakers, which are Ag plated (1-1,5% Ag). This isn´t very lucrative feed, but I am slowly piling all up for one larger future run :) When I will do this, I let you guys know and post some pictures.

Probably considered a crude copper cell but its a work in progress.
Copper sulfate and sulfuric acid in solution
Copper roof flashing for cathodes
Breaking down cell for maintenance and silver recovery
Silver recovered is considered dirty a will be run through a silver cell later

Attachments

• IMG_9690.jpeg
    IMG_9690.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
This one works well .
The top of the anode basket lid is cut to let the salt creep back into the system and cathode conductor run through the hole also.

Attachments

• IMG_9698.jpeg
    IMG_9698.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I just want to make sure one thing - sulfuric acid you are reffering to is concentrated sulfuric acid, right ? Like >93% sulfuric acid. Am I correct ?

From practical standpoint for smaller scale setups dealing with several kilogram quantity of plated items, that come in various compositions of base metals etc. I would go with plain sulfuric acid strip.
Sulfuric acid in bulk is relatively cheap (here like 4eur/L of 96% techgrade stuff, 10L canister), and you can use the leaching acid for multiple batches in row, and only then process the pregnant acid to get silver.

Investment in terms of money would be energy for heating the pot and sulfuric acid used. Of course, biggest investment is your time. Regular plating that I encountered through my refining career was around 1-4 wt% of the plated stuff. Meaning 10-40g/kg silver. Most of the times, material came nearly for free or at the price of base metal (usually brass or bronze). Or you obtained the material during dismantling stuff like breakers, relays or some connections on PCBs... If you manage to get this material this cheap, then I do not see any obstacles in making it economically viable in some cases. You will sell the base metal material anyway, and keep silver as profit.

Biggest issue with silver plated pieces of metal is that they come in various compositions and most of the times base metal isn´t pure copper. Meaning electrowinning copper without pyrometallurgic pre-treatment of the metal is nearly impossible. And pyro-treatment in semi-mid-scale somewhere in the backyard of your house just do not sound good.

As you said, reprecipitation of silver can occur, but silver cementing on copper materials is detached easily, and some shaking will easily detach like 99% of it. I recommend ultrasonic cleaner to detach cemented metals from surfaces. Works nicely.

Personally, I still have quite a bit of plated scrap. Mainly from USSR RF equipment - heavily plated casings of RF modules, connectors, "faston" like connectors from relays or just silver plated pieces of solid brass used for whatever purpose. This material average around 6-7% Ag per weight, making it relatively nice to process. I also have some lower grade stuff like smaller quantity of Ag plated braided wires (1-2% Ag), and metal parts from breakers, which are Ag plated (1-1,5% Ag). This isn´t very lucrative feed, but I am slowly piling all up for one larger future run :) When I will do this, I let you guys know and post some pictures.
That's why I used a limited amount of sulfuric. The reaction ate away the thin plating, then redepositited the silver on the remaining base metal as small crystals, over and over, during the course of the week I left it in there. Eventually, the silver was all in a fine gray powder, and the base metal was fairly cleaned off, once the acid became too weak to dissolve any more metal.

Latest posts

Back