Two questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeyc118

Good morning all,
First question is after precipitation. I had a “YouTube perfect” aqua regia followed by drop. I got lucky on the amounts and it all happened in minutes. I used sulfamic and smb and immediately turned dark followed by clear with mud on the bottom. But much later as I let the solution sit I had a small amount of black particles precipitate out. Seems to share characteristics with brown gold mud but definitely black. Would this be another precious metal or I think I read somewhere that it could be gold.

Second question is about crucibles. Because I have made excess mistakes along the way one of them has to do with borax. I feel like my crucible correctly but in the past I added too much borax and buried gold. Last night I broke two of 4 apart and put in aqua regia to find what looks like a couple grams. (It’s tough for me to confess such a ridiculous amount but I’m doing it)
Only one other crucible has a small slurry on the bottom and I’m wondering if when I put in gold mud if it can blend with the melted excess borax to make shiny yellow borax that can’t be separated by heat. And possibly I considered if even after I have glazed the crucible if I’m playing with melted gold for too long with oxyacetylene could I melt away that glaze causing some gold to become absorbed in the crucible?
Thank you!

Good morning all,
First question is after precipitation. I had a “YouTube perfect” aqua regia followed by drop. I got lucky on the amounts and it all happened in minutes. I used sulfamic and smb and immediately turned dark followed by clear with mud on the bottom. But much later as I let the solution sit I had a small amount of black particles precipitate out. Seems to share characteristics with brown gold mud but definitely black. Would this be another precious metal or I think I read somewhere that it could be gold.

Second question is about crucibles. Because I have made excess mistakes along the way one of them has to do with borax. I feel like my crucible correctly but in the past I added too much borax and buried gold. Last night I broke two of 4 apart and put in aqua regia to find what looks like a couple grams. (It’s tough for me to confess such a ridiculous amount but I’m doing it)
Only one other crucible has a small slurry on the bottom and I’m wondering if when I put in gold mud if it can blend with the melted excess borax to make shiny yellow borax that can’t be separated by heat. And possibly I considered if even after I have glazed the crucible if I’m playing with melted gold for too long with oxyacetylene could I melt away that glaze causing some gold to become absorbed in the crucible?
Thank you!
The fine precipitate is probably some Gold that had not precipitated due to slight contaminations and or was too fine/small to drop directly.
Regarding crucibles, I’d prefer melting dishes, they are just glazed by heating to red and sprinkle Borax on them until they get a thin shiny layer of Borax.
This is all the Borax needed to melt Gold in that dish.

Latest posts

Back