unknown parts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a suggestion: As observable, some components bear part numbers. Engaging in some Google research to ascertain their value could be beneficial. Incorporate terms like "Vintage" or "Old new stock" in your search. Often, these older components can be more lucrative than simply putting them into a bucket of acid to obtain some mg of Gold or Silver.

If you can not find the part numbers because the company went out of business or so, that could even be more interesting. You may be one of the few in world who can supply replacement. And you determine the price. Take into consideration that they may not work anymore though and be generous if customers give you such feedback. You will not be able to test them prior to shipping.

It isn't a "get rich quick scheme," but by carefully unsoldering precious vintage components and listing them on platforms like eBay, you can turn a profit. It might take months or even years for some components to sell, but it can be highly profitable. I've had success with this approach for a few years until I ran out of supplies.

Vintage components often possess unique characteristics that today's electronics can't replicate—consider the warm sound of a tube amplifier, for example. Hence, there will always be a market for them in the future, though it isn't a quick turnover endeavor.

For the less spectacular but precious metal (PM) bearing components, consider harvesting them for resale as gold scrap or, with acquired experience and equipment, for refining PMs.

This old material holds significant value, but it requires time to liquidate this asset.
Just my 2 cents...

this old switch I think it is, is it rhodium and mercury inside?

That’s a reed switch. Depending how it’s configured, the two metal strips will either connect or separate when exposed to a magnetic field. That can be from a magnet being brought close by, or they are often used inside a coil of wire as a relay. Reed switches can be made of a variety of metals. The overlapping ends of the strips where they make contact, can sometimes be plated with gold or rhodium.

There is a special type of reed relay in which the tube also contains a tiny droplet of mercury, and those are known as mercury wetted relays. Do not confuse that with a mercury tilt switch, where a large blob of mercury can flow back and forth and actually forms the connection. Mercury wetted relays were used a lot an older phone system boards. They usually have the glass reed switch embedded inside tar or plastic, and then inside of a metal can. They’re usually marked do not open, under pressure, or will have an arrow showing their proper orientation while in use. It’s best to leave them alone and dispose of them properly.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/reed-switches-guide

Back