Updated, why 1 assay ton = 29.166 grams

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldshark

Supporting Member
I made a mistake in how to convert the standard ton for an assay, here is the correct math;
1 ton. = 2000 pounds
1lb. (Avoirdupois) = 7000 troy grains
1 ton = 14,000,000 troy gr.
1 oz. troy = 480 gr.
________________ = 29,166oz. Troy. Therefore the relationship is 29.166 grams (1 assay ton) to each 1mg. of Gold and Silver = 1 oz. troy per ton Avoir.

Yes, first time I made Swerters solution could not believe how much dichromate it called for. Would not come close to dissolving.

Then i realized the mass was in grains. Worked much better. 🙄

Yes, first time I made Swerters solution could not believe how much dichromate it called for. Would not come close to dissolving.

Then i realized the mass was in grains. Worked much better. 🙄
Just got an assay back from a lab in the states. It was reported in milligrams per kilogram. Instead of ounces, or 100ths of an ounce per ton, the conversion is; 1 milligram per kilogram = 1 gram per metric tonne (2200 LBS). I haven't had an assay done for quite a while, so don't know when the conversion to metric happened. Somebody please check my conversion, before I stick my foot in my mouth up to the knee.

Latest posts

Back