Using density to determine purity of Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malus88

My uncle and I were discussing methods of determining purity of the gold after the refining process. I proposed that one could simply figure out the density of the button, using weight and volume, to figure out what the purity would be. The only issues I see with this is what kind of tolerance would there be in the numbers. Obviously getting perfect density without a gravity machine would be rather difficult, but using a graduated measuring cup, and a postal scale, would it be possible to do? And how close a measurement could you expect?

I do not know, but I would think the big error may be in the reading of volume displaced and the scales accuracy, I suspect you may get an pretty close value, but then again what if there were several different base metals involved and all had different densitys per volume How can you differientiate this?

I am looking foward to reading the answer to this question also.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6193&hilit=help+with+simple+gold+Buttons+Assaying#p54148

Thanks Palladium for the link, it was very informative. I think I may have to try that method. Even if I can only expect ballpark estimates, it's still better than not having any clue.

Back