using weak nitric acid in aqua regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpagoda

Hello all, I am new to this forum and looking forward to your help with my new hobby. I have a good supply of a weak nitric acid solution (sds sheet says 40-60%) that I am wondering if it can be used to refine a bunch of gold pins I recovered from some motherboards last week. I titrated 5ml of it with 1N sodium hydroxide and it does indeed come out at approximately 46% nitric acid by volume. So I am wondering if it is strong enough to use or will I just be causing myself more trouble than it is worth. I also have another similar solution that contains 1-3% phosphoric acid as well- will that cause unintended issues if I use it? Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Your weak nitric should work just fine. Most of the time when we use just nitric, we dilute concentrated acid that is about 68 to 70% by about half with water, so your acid is still stronger than that. It will also work for making AR, though it will be just a little diluted.

I don't know if the phosphoric acid would cause you any problems.

Dave

Latest posts

Back