Very quick reaction using SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shark

I recently posted on this thread, http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=24229#p256721, about the concentration of the solution. I added 2ml sulfuric to deal with any potential lead and diluted by three times, which should help deal with any silver that may have been present, then filtered.

Filtered and ready to drop1.jpg

I then mixed two heaping teaspoons of SMB into a cup of hot water and added it to the solution. It didn't take all of it, but the drop was very fast. I did need to add another 50ml of the SMB solution to get a negative test with stannous. The reaction was so fast had I not been videoing it, I would have missed the initial reaction.

Here is the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9dik2SST2U[/youtube]

Now, to my question, I have used this process to drop other solutions quite a bit so why was the reaction so fast this time? Was it the concentration of the solution? Was this solution cleaner than the others? What is your thoughts on it?

Probably concentration and complete initial removal of oxidizer which prevented it from precipitating/dissolving/precipitating until bleach or nitric was used up.

Looks beautiful though. Excellent work!
I hope my solution I am getting prepared to precipitate looks that good. It is just my first refine on the gold, so, i shall soon see.

How much gold do you expect from your drop shark?

25.8 grams went in, after redissolving, and one wash cycle, the button is 25.3grams

That's exactly how I do it and how I preach on how to do it. It always seems to drop immediately for me. It's mainly because I use the additions method for nitric. I also think the 3/1 dilution method before filtering lessens the effect of any excess nitric present and that speeds it up. I believe that both the total amount of excess nitric and its concentration are definitely instrumental in the speed or slowness of the drop.

GSP, I tried to follow closely the directions you had posted and enjoyed the whole experience of this batch. Next time I have enough material ready to work with, I want to try it again and see if I can get a better calculation on the chemicals I need. This type experience makes all the work involved worth while. Thanks for lending us newer members some proper guidance.

Latest posts

Back