Waiting on CL to bleed off?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglewings35

Hey folks, I am sure most of you have solved this problem, but I recently found a solution to this common problem.
That problem would be....how to speed up the "bleeding off of Clorine" out of your AuCl solution so you can drop your
gold with SMB.
My solution is simple...... I use my air bubbler. I put the air hose in and within 1 or 2 hours of bubbling, all the chlorine
is gone.
The smell of chlorine is present no more, and it is now safe to drop your gold !!
This has worked for me on several occasions now, with no difficulties.

Maybe this will help a newbie, or even an old timer that hasnt thought of this before.

Cheers ALL !!!!

Be sure you keep your container covered with a watch glass. The bursting of those little bubbles at the surface can propel tiny droplets of your solution out of your container, carrying tiny amounts of your PMs with them, just like boiling a solution containing values.

Dave

nice idea! I like it!

I like to use some heat for mine. I would also recommend anyone using an air pump to get themselves a check valve, all the pet stores have them. $1-2 each.

FrugalRefiner said:
Be sure you keep your container covered with a watch glass. The bursting of those little bubbles at the surface can propel tiny droplets of your solution out of your container, carrying tiny amounts of your PMs with them, just like boiling a solution containing values.

Dave

You are absolutely correct !!! You dont want to have gone through the whole process only to have
the air hose spit out your values, that would really suck !!!

eaglewings35 said:
Hey folks, I am sure most of you have solved this problem, but I recently found a solution to this common problem.
That problem would be....how to speed up the "bleeding off of Clorine" out of your AuCl solution so you can drop your
gold with SMB.
My solution is simple...... I use my air bubbler. I put the air hose in and within 1 or 2 hours of bubbling, all the chlorine
is gone.
The smell of chlorine is present no more, and it is now safe to drop your gold !!
This has worked for me on several occasions now, with no difficulties.

Maybe this will help a newbie, or even an old timer that hasnt thought of this before.

Cheers ALL !!!!

Will this method work for only gold solutions or Catalytic converters also? After HCL/CL leach. (After a week or so).
I also know if you just keep the solution in sunlight the solution will throw out Clorine automatically but I am thinking if someone is in a hurry so this would help to speed up the process and of course one should covered the solution with a watch glass as FrugalRefiner said.
The other method as we all know is to heat the solution gently to drive off the excess chlorine. :lol:

Isn't it pretty much the same effectivity, if you raise the temperature or lower the pressure? Look at Diagram C: http://www.lutz-jesco.com/fileadmin/data/dokumente/pg2/LJ-Chlorine-EN-SD.pdf

At 30°C the solubility is just half as high as at 20°C and at each temperature the solubility is only about the half, if you lower the pressure to about 0,3bar.

Ofcourse it could be something different with our acidic soup of compounds. Just curious.....never had any problems with getting off the chlorine.

But... when sunlight has a positive effect, I wonder if raising the exposition to UV radiation using an artificial source of UV would work even faster.... :roll:

steyr223 said:
Vacuum 5 minutes

Can you please describe this vaccum process?? How exactly can we vaccum to drive the chlorine from a bucket on hcl/cl leach for catalytic converters??

How can this be hard?? You can even get water boiling in a closed 100ml syringe just by pulling the plunger. Install two valves and you have a vacuum pump. I would really not use my 1000€ electrical vacuum pump on aggressive gasses and vapors... :lol:

But I think there has been one fellow who posted pics of his teflon pump, if I remember right, - I guess this is how big boys do.

I dont remember which member posted
The thread on vacuuming your aucl

I do remember as solar said there was a big discussion on
How to keep your pump from disconbuberating in like 2 minutes like my aluminum one ,it became a black gooy slimy glop but i had like 30 of them :shock:

You will notice when your (will say flask) is sealed with only
The vacuum tube coming out . the auric chloride will almost instantly start to boil. This is the chlorine coming
Out as it really does not like being in solution

I believe it was.either lino,palladium or 4metals
Hope this helps thanks Steyr223 rob

solar_plasma said:
But... when sunlight has a positive effect, I wonder if raising the exposition to UV radiation using an artificial source of UV would work even faster.... :roll:

According to this UV "cuts" the bond between the O and CL atoms coverting them to free radicals. So yes it may work "even faster" if you really have the need for speed. lol

“chlorine”- in the form of either OCl-or HOCl
depending on pH- is rapidly lost from pool water upon constant exposure to
solar radiation. OCl-absorbs in the ultraviolet (UV) region of the electromagnetic spectrum and the energy
associated with UV radiation is sufficiently strong to break the single bond between the oxygen-chlorine
atoms. A reaction caused by the absorption of sunlight is known as a photolysis reaction (photo = light, lysis
= cut...hence “cutting with light”).

taken from Chemistry in the Marketplace 4th Edition
, by Ben Selinger, HarcourtBrace & Company, ©1994, pp. 175-191

It's really hard for me to type this out without sounding harsh, there are a couple of things I would like to point out. Under standard atmospheric pressure, Cl exist as a gas. When we dissolve chlorine into a solution, unless the solution is capped, the chlorine will "gas off" with no help of a catalyst. By heating the solution, it expels Cl at a much faster pace. Also, physical agitation (stirring) speeds up the process. There is no mystery here, I believe the agitation of the bubbling is the main cause of the effect.

I also feel the term "to bleed off" should not be used. In my understanding, "to bleed off" means to slowly release pressure like bleeding a brake line. This is an international forum and non Americans may not have ever heard the term used in a sentence. When trying to use a translator to read post, how would this look in Greek or Russian? Expelling chlorine, purging the chlorine or simply gassing off the chlorine may make it more understandable.

Latest posts

Back