War Surplus Radio and Radar Equipment circa 1944

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This afternoon came across a surplus yard full of second world war radio, radar equipment and Teletype terminals.

Wondering what I should be looking for besides the obvious, huge contacts galore either soldered onto a screw in post or riveted onto a brass buss.

The brass buss is strange material, heavily silver plated, when I bend and eventually break the brass into two pieces the brass has a silvery tinge to it.

There is a lot of thumb type screws made of the same alloy

Anyone have experience with this alloy or know what it might be.

The Teletype have gold contacts affixed to a gold buss. I have so far found the ice cube relays with the same configuration.

Thanks in advance
Gustavus

Might give you some help :arrow: Defense Scrap Yard Handbook

Attachments

• Defense Scrap Yard Handbook.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
Forty years ago these were tarped, nothing worth saving. Even the vacuum tubes with a Bakelite base have become loose over the years. I could not even gently persuade them from the sockets.

The tubes with pin only bases are coming out, surprisingly the numbers and manufactures names still very legible.

When I have time I will test the tubes on my EICO tester, saving the best for auction.

ttys
Gustavus

banjags said:
Would you care to share where this yard is? Is it close to winnipeg?

Sure, the late founder of " Princess Auto" his son owns the yard. I have exclusive rights to the electronic scrap in case your having thoughts.

If your looking for anything in particular - I'm the man.

As for the collector of old 2 meter band radios, not much to be had, this equipment is the orps of what was considered of no marketable value. And is well seasoned from many years of exposure to the weather.

Anyhow don't go having a wet dream over this find, its not all easy pickins.

Best Regards
Gustavus

While heating some of the brass to remove the contacts, the brass melts before the contacts let go.

Fortunately capillary action draws the molten brass away from the contact leaving a thin skin making removal of the contacts easy.

This is the first time I have come across a situation where the soldered contacts when heated don't just drop off into my pan.

Anyone have an idea what type of solder they used.

ttys
Gustavus

OK new rule. Ebay avitars are outlawed. :shock: :shock: :shock:

:p :p :p

For the love of god gustavus :twisted:

Back