water filters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandt

Subject: water filters :? Have some water filters with a lot of pladdium in there made of carbon an resin nead a better way to strip the metal out. come pure water picture. have several of them. cooked some of in the furnice but thats to slow tried AP didnt work very good. with the carbon in there???

You will have trouble with carbon in general stealing PM values so I would eliminate it. I am curious how you determined you had Pd. I can’t think of why they would use it in a domestic unit, however silver is used an example being Katadyn (sp?) brand.

Brandt sent me a pm explaining he is getting gold from the charcoal in charcoal water filters. The unit I was referencing is a micro-pore ceramic with a silver coating, totally different. He does make the point very well as to carbon stealing values though as that is why he is finding gold in them (per off forum note). As Harold likes to say “incinerate”. I know people that put sacks of charcoal in gold area stream beds and recover them after a month or 2 with limited success. I am surprised however that he is getting Pd, as none of these people ever reported finding it. To be objective though, they may not have looked for it. I would still like to hear how he is testing for it.

OZ I processed some with AP an got small precip of pd also tested with stanis chloride. tell your friends puting the charcoal in the streams to use cocanut shell carbon they will get more gold. have tried that they have to make a poris bag to hold it. tried it for two months. Brandt

Brandt,
That is what they use due to the porosity of the carbon. As for the bag they use burlap or plastic feed bags, the feed bags hold up longer. I have never tried Pd in AP. Lasersteve would be the authority there. I’m still not sure what you processed, the carbon with PMs or incineration of the carbon then the residue put into AP?

As an added note, AP is best used to deplate electronics by eating the copper from underneath the gold leaving the gold flaks to be filtered out. Since you are collecting PMs in charcoal I see no good reason to use AP. Assuming you incinerate your carbon I would use AR or HCl Cl2 to put your PMs into solution and selectively precipitate.

Platdigger,

I knew Pt would go into AP but did not know if it would effectively. I have only used AP for electronics. I would enjoy hearing the details of your AP and platinum.

Well, to be fair, I had some sulfuric in there too, but I don't think it would have changed the outcome, as I got the idea from Ammens book.
He just made mention of putting a little platinum into solution with hcl and peroxide.
I did this on an oxygen sensor and was able to recover the platinum as metal, with a combination of reductants.
Randy

Latest posts

Back