what did I do?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone
Today I got some samples of rock and a kind of earth stuff from the same location what should contain gold. I made the standard procedure for the earth kind of stuff and wash it, take Nitric acid to remove impurities, then the AR part. Stannous Chloride test show black purple color reaction. After filtering I add Sulfamic acid for denox, then SMB. Now start the strange part: There was no precipitation after adding SMB, I test again with Stannous and got a orange reaction....what does that mean and what metal it may indicate?
The solution was still yellow-ish after 6 hours, so I was fed up and poured 50ml Stannous Chloride into the solution to see what happen. In a instantaneous reaction the color change to clear like water and some silver shiny crystals precipitated. Then the solution turn to a color I would describe as peach and get cloudy. The crystals still are still visible at the bottom of the beaker but now some brown stuff start to precipitate out, I assume that could be the gold I´m looking for.
Can anybody explain the chemical reaction to me I initiated and may tell me what those crystals are? Thanks guy´s,

Hi everyone
Today I got some samples of rock and a kind of earth stuff from the same location what should contain gold. I made the standard procedure for the earth kind of stuff and wash it, take Nitric acid to remove impurities, then the AR part. Stannous Chloride test show black purple color reaction. After filtering I add Sulfamic acid for denox, then SMB. Now start the strange part: There was no precipitation after adding SMB, I test again with Stannous and got a orange reaction....what does that mean and what metal it may indicate?
The solution was still yellow-ish after 6 hours, so I was fed up and poured 50ml Stannous Chloride into the solution to see what happen. In a instantaneous reaction the color change to clear like water and some silver shiny crystals precipitated. Then the solution turn to a color I would describe as peach and get cloudy. The crystals still are still visible at the bottom of the beaker but now some brown stuff start to precipitate out, I assume that could be the gold I´m looking for.
Can anybody explain the chemical reaction to me I initiated and may tell me what those crystals are? Thanks guy´s,
You need to start studying.
The way you describe what you do, you are a disaster waiting to happen!!!
YOU SIMPLY DO NOT USE AR ON ORES AND ITS LIKES!!!!
Before you do anything else, study the safety section of the forum!!
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/

And what in the world got you to pour stannous into something you expect to be a pregnant solution?
If it was loaded with any of the PMs it would instantly turn Dark greenish, Orange or Purple, not clear.
How did you prepare your Stannous?
How did you make your AR?
Have you read Hokes book yet?

Last edited:
Hi everyone
Here is a list over what you need to study!!!

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

And what in the world got you to pour stannous into something you expect to be a pregnant solution?
If it was loaded with any of the PMs it would instantly turn Dark greenish, Orange or Purple, not clear.
Thanks for replay............and yes that was exactly the motivation to pour SnCL into this solution to see if it turn black. So it does not and I´m curious to know what happen instead.

Okay this is a useful information, may you can explain why and what to do instead? Just some simple words.
And yes I will continue with study Hooks book.
Btw, all my experiments I do in a fume hood. Using safety equipment for me is mandatory. Waste solution I collect for later electrowinning.

Thanks for replay............and yes that was exactly the motivation to pour SnCL into this solution to see if it turn black. So it does not and I´m curious to know what happen instead.
You do not need to that. just one drop is enough.
If you had values in there, they will immediately turn into never settling nano particles.
The only way to get it back, is to redissolve it.

Okay this is a useful information, may you can explain why and what to do instead? Just some simple words.
And yes I will continue with study Hooks book.
Btw, all my experiments I do in a fume hood. Using safety equipment for me is mandatory. Waste solution I collect for later electrowinning.
Several things:
It can be extremely dangerous if you do not know what is in your ore.
If there ia other metallic components the PMs will cement out and can't not be recovered.
If it is clean it is way to expensive for the amount of Gold you can get out.

Professionals use ThioCyanate, Cyanide derivatives or Hypochlorite.

Several things:
It can be extremely dangerous if you do not know what is in your ore.
If there ia other metallic components the PMs will cement out and can't not be recovered.
If it is clean it is way to expensive for the amount of Gold you can get out.

Professionals use ThioCyanate, Cyanide derivatives or Hypochlorite.

May I forgot to mention that I just want to test the sample for gold containments. Sure for processing larger amounts of ore I will not use AR. You right that's far to expensive.
Let me check out if I can get your mentioned chemicals here in Indonesia. Cyanide is available. Were I can get more information for testing ores of pm´s without using AR? My test samples are 50 to 100gr each.

May I forgot to mention that I just want to test the sample for gold containments. Sure for processing larger amounts of ore I will not use AR. You right that's far to expensive.
Let me check out if I can get your mentioned chemicals here in Indonesia. Cyanide is available. Were I can get more information for testing ores of pm´s without using AR? My test samples are 50 to 100gr each.
Be sure to follow all security protocols if going for Cyanide.
Mistakes with Cyanide may be one time mistakes, which means death.

At the top of the section on Prospecting, Mining, Ore & Geochemical is a sticky on Quick Qualitative Testing of Rocks and Ore. it is quite lengthy, but is worth the time.

When I explored old mining camps, I would use a written version with the same test materials to determine what had been mined a century prior.

Time for more coffee.

Latest posts

Back