what is the name of that missing part

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericrm

im trying to use an old genarator that as an blowed motor(impossible to save it literaly exploded), so i intend to put a lawnmower motor on it but i dont know the name of the part that transform the vertical rotation of the motor to an horizontal rotation for the generator.

im trying to see if i can buy one over ebay but i dont know the name...

thanks

missing part.png

Looking at your drawing, it has to be some kind of split gearbox, if you are going to use a lawnmower motor to run your generator, you could replace this part with pulleys and belts, loads of information on youtube, steve.

I don't understand why you would want to over complicate something so simple. Adding a gearbox in the drive line will reduce efficiency, create more noise/heat/maintenance and lawnmower engines don't put out much HP to begin with.
Generators are best direct coupled to the engine. I'd say you have two choices, Find a horizontal shaft gas engine for cheap or free or mount the generator under the engine vertically.
You would need to take a close look at the generator's construction to see if it will operate vertically (bearings axially supporting the rotor). If so, it doesn't matter what position the generator is mounted.

Also a horizontal shaft engine will out last a vertical because of the cylinder orientation. And all you have to use is one of those quick couplers (got brain lock and can't remember the name) to join the two. You can even get a single cylinder diesel engine to run it or even one that runs on natural gas. Just throwing info at ya. 8)

Was bugging me so I looked it up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVEJOY-68514411093-Shaft-Coupler-Body-/321484353918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad9f5f17e

if your generator is electric why can't you just plug the motor axil directly into the generator ? or just mount the gas tank of the engine in a different place so you can turn the motor ??

Hello All - Any chance you could use a pully belt system, it can, with great ease produce what you want, less noise and heat.

Deano

Latest posts

Back