what kind of metal is this?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either gold, a thin plate of gold, or brass, and I have to be honest, I do not remember ever seeing brass as analytic plating for extra conductivity there are lots of other things that would be a much better choice but I have been wrong before.

if I can keep from having to use a nitric acid test I would rather do that if somebody knows let me know.

I’m sure it’s obvious but that’s an armature for a very high-end motor that stopped working used in a Milwaukee bandsaw that’s portable

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    675.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Either gold, a thin plate of gold, or brass, and I have to be honest, I do not remember ever seeing brass as analytic plating for extra conductivity there are lots of other things that would be a much better choice but I have been wrong before.

if I can keep from having to use a nitric acid test I would rather do that if somebody knows let me know.

I’m sure it’s obvious but that’s an armature for a very high-end motor that stopped working used in a Milwaukee bandsaw that’s portable
There is no reason to use Gold here.
To me it looks like electroplated Iron.

There is no reason to use Gold here.
To me it looks like electroplated Iron.
I did a magnet test and it’s not magnetic in fact nothing on the armature is magnetic a better magnets don’t work I tested it on three different magnets none of it is magnetic so no fair metals in there

I’m gonna say it’s brass but I will do a test if need be.

The armature in a Milwaukee-brand handheld bandsaw, like many other power tools, is likely made of a combination of metals. The core of the armature is typically composed of laminated soft iron. This is because soft iron is a good conductor of magnetic fields, which is crucial for the operation of the motor.

The windings around the armature are usually made of copper, due to its excellent electrical conductivity. The commutator, which is attached to the armature and switches the input current, is often made of copper as well.

Thank you

I really should read stuff before I send it anyway. What that was supposed to say is this metal is encasing that carbon that I have to do a test, I guess. It’s not a Ferris METAL, so I still think it’s between grass, which is more likely than gold is. There’s no reason to have that much gold right there

Looks like electroplated copper to me. Was the motor designed for use in a corrosive environment? That's the only reason I can think to gold-plate motor electronics to such a degree, to prevent corrosion of the copper.

The question to ask yourself is “why would they use gold on this part”. I can think of no good reason for using gold in a hand held power tool.

It's amazingly shiny brass for a used motor. The luster also looked very much like gold-plate. But, could simply have been the lighting making it look different.
No it’s very shiny That’s why I thought it was either brass or a very thin coat of gold plating. I never tested it but I’m pretty certain it was brass. I did get a decent amount of gold and silver from the entire item I was surprised.

No it’s very shiny That’s why I thought it was either brass or a very thin coat of gold plating. I never tested it but I’m pretty certain it was brass. I did get a decent amount of gold and silver from the entire item I was surprised.
Nitric acid is your friend for this sort of thing. Just one drop of 50% nitric on that shiny surface will tell all. Gold will do nothing, brass will fizz at once and turn the drop blue.

Nitric acid is your friend for this sort of thing. Just one drop of 50% nitric on that shiny surface will tell all. Gold will do nothing, brass will fizz at once and turn the drop blue.
Very true but I looked up the major up for the items DC motors and it was very clear that brass was used in the commutator. Solid brass though. A good bit of silver and a small amount of gold in the whole item. I wish I could of saved the band saw but I discovered quickly the problem and it would have cost more to repair it. So I decided to recycle it lol

Back