What kind of nitrate is this?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blood meal usually contains around 13% Nitrogen. I would look for a higher content, usually available at agricultural centers. I would look for sodium, potassium, ammonium, or some other high nitrate compound chemical. Duda Diesel has really good prices on 60+ % Nitric. That is where I buy mine.

Also, some Stump Out products contain high levels of either Sodium or Potassium nitrate. Available at most Home Depots. The other Stump Remover product contains Potassium Nitrate. Look at the active ingredient list to decide which one is for you. The other Stump out products can contain herbicides, SMB which drops Au from AR, and other ingredients. They all say Stump Out, or remover, so double check the active ingredients.

Blood meal usually contains around 13% Nitrogen. I would look for a higher content, usually available at agricultural centers. I would look for sodium, potassium, ammonium, or some other high nitrate compound chemical. Duda Diesel has really good prices on 60+ % Nitric. That is where I buy mine.
Is this sodium nitrite? Someone told me that's what it is. I've never heard of duda diesel. Could home Depot possibly have it?

If you have access to a computer or I-phone, you could research this yourself. Google the manufacturer of the blood meal, usually an MSDS sheet somewhere on the site. Don't always believe what others tell you, research yourself, might save your life. At least if something goes wrong, the only one you can blame, is yourself. Google Duda Diesel. Home Depot carries two or three Stump Out products. Go there and see what they have, or can get, or maybe at another location.

Spectracide Stump Remover is potassium nitrate. Bonide Stump Out is sodium metabisulfite. Hi-yield sodium nitrate works pretty well.

Duda Diesel is a good place, as mentioned. They could be a one stop shopping place for basic refining chemicals. Well worth looking into.

Spectracide Stump Remover is potassium nitrate. Bonide Stump Out is sodium metabisulfite. Hi-yield sodium nitrate works pretty well.

Duda Diesel is a good place, as mentioned. They could be a one stop shopping place for basic refining chemicals. Well worth looking into.

I use the Hi-yield sodium nitrate also, it does work pretty good. But.... my local Ace hardware hasn't had it on the shelve in awhile now. Not sure if they are just not selling it anymore or it's a supply chain issue?.. Fortunately I stocked up on it awhile ago.

I got several bottles of the spectracide, but I don't like using it because it smells funny...... maybe it's just me.

If you have access to a computer or I-phone, you could research this yourself. Google the manufacturer of the blood meal, usually an MSDS sheet somewhere on the site. Don't always believe what others tell you, research yourself, might save your life. At least if something goes wrong, the only one you can blame, is yourself. Google Duda Diesel. Home Depot carries two or three Stump Out products. Go there and see what they have, or can get, or maybe at another location.
I did try and research this. But didn't get any answers. That's why I asked. But I'm sure 8 could've given it a better try. Thanks again!

I use the Hi-yield sodium nitrate also, it does work pretty good. But.... my local Ace hardware hasn't had it on the shelve in awhile now. Not sure if they are just not selling it anymore or it's a supply chain issue?.. Fortunately I stocked up on it awhile ago.

I got several bottles of the spectracide, but I don't like using it because it smells funny...... maybe it's just me.
Our local Ace carries it in the spring. But fall they pull it off the shelf’s. Duda has better grade of chemical sodium nitrate in 50lb bags, but that is a lot of fertilizer. There are a couple of local farm stores that carries the Hi-Yield regularly and I usually find it pretty easily. I am not set in any specific usage or method, so I tend to use whatever is the easiest to get as I need it. Being able to do that saves a lot of stress.

I'll scope out Tractor Supply and see if they carry it or an equivalent.....for if I ever run out. I did buy some Muriatic acid at Lowes the other day and the price per gal went from $9 to $12 per gal. I didn't check the price on PH down for pools, but I'm sure it increased as well... hopefully that's temporary.

I can't remember which ones this is and it doesn't say on the package. Potassium or sodium? Or did I get the wrong one entirely?

Blood meal is worthless, it’s literally just dehydrated Cow’s blood. It’s not any form of nitrate. You have to find a product that specifically says it’s sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate. You could also try at some place that sells supplies for hydroponic growing, or a large nursery supply.

Blood meal is worthless, it’s literally just dehydrated Cow’s blood. It’s not any form of nitrate. You have to find a product that specifically says it’s sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate. You could also try at some place that sells supplies for hydroponic growing, or a large nursery supply.
So your saying mines is nothing? So therefore doesn't work at all? If it's not then I'm confused 🤔.

Well either way as soon as I can I'm going to go get potassium nitrate stump stuff.

So your saying mines is nothing? So therefore doesn't work at all? If it's not then I'm confused 🤔.

Well either way as soon as I can I'm going to go get potassium nitrate stump stuff.

That’s what I’m saying, it will NOT work in place of a nitrate salt for forming nitric acid It’s literally what you get if you dried some animal blood. Various blood proteins, calcium and phosphorus salts, sodium and potassium chlorides, lipids, and any number of other things. You can use it to fertilize your plants but that’s about it. Don’t try to just go by the numbers. There are other chemicals or combinations of chemicals that could have the similar numbers but still not be what you’re looking for. Find a product that actually has the chemical name listed in the contents.

Sadly, I live in another part of the world. But here, you can access various fertilizers in bulk for very cheap. Classical NPK fertilizers/other mixed products for direct household use are junk for refining, but there are lots of brands which sell ammonium nitrate fertilizer, granulated with use of dolomite additive as anti-caking agent. Ammonium nitrate fertilizers, even tech grade in their very nature are very pure chemically, and all you need to do with this particular type is to dissolve it in water, filter out the dolomite and evaporate the water from it, getting nice and crystalline white ammonium nitrate. You can even purify it by crystallization, as temperature gradient for NH4NO3 is quite favorable.

But as others say, if there is possibility to buy nitric from mentioned company, I wouldn´t bother with nitrates :)

Sadly, I live in another part of the world. But here, you can access various fertilizers in bulk for very cheap. Classical NPK fertilizers/other mixed products for direct household use are junk for refining, but there are lots of brands which sell ammonium nitrate fertilizer, granulated with use of dolomite additive as anti-caking agent. Ammonium nitrate fertilizers, even tech grade in their very nature are very pure chemically, and all you need to do with this particular type is to dissolve it in water, filter out the dolomite and evaporate the water from it, getting nice and crystalline white ammonium nitrate. You can even purify it by crystallization, as temperature gradient for NH4NO3 is quite favorable.

But as others say, if there is possibility to buy nitric from mentioned company, I wouldn´t bother with nitrates :)
Yeah I've been buying nitric for roughly 80 dollars a liter. And I can no longer afford it. So if I can get some nitric out of this bag or even the right one, since this one seems to be wrong, then I'll need to do that. I have lots of ic chips left. So it'll have to be nitrates or Clorox bleach/HCl.

Yes, I get that but the maker of said video is a solid source. I've got to be missing something here. 🤷🤔
Video link?
Solid source according to who?

You will be much farther ahead faster by sticking to GRF for a while. At least until you get a better understanding of chemicals and their uses in the “make do” or “get by” areas. This will reduce much of your headaches and save you time and money, not to mention some confusion.

Latest posts

Back