• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What to do with my paydirt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanVanDeest

3AE207DE-5A6A-4409-A92B-5FA8771C0478.jpegGot this coffee tin 3/4 full of dirt with tiny flakes of gold all throughout the black dirt from my grandpa’s workshop after he passed. im looking for advice what to do with it as a beginner or if there somewhere I can sell this?

Assuming that the gold flakes are not iron pyrite, you could try this.

If you haven't already done so, run a strong magnet through the material. That should remove most of the iron that maybe present. I'm not sure if iron pyrite is magnetic or not, someone with experience with this type of material could probably answer that question. Then (in small batches) let it soak in HCL for a couple of days in a fume hood or outside, that will clean up a lot of the unwanted stuff. Pour off that HCL and rinse several times (do you know how to treat that waste?) . After that (in small batches) go for AR, testing the solution along the way. Filter the solution and drop with your preferred reducing agent (again, do you have a plan for the waste?).

During your testing keep an eye out for other PGM's that maybe present, probably won't be much.

Caution:
If you decide to use pyrometallurgy, keep in mind there could be a lot of nasties associated with this type of material, Arsenic, mercury, lead, tin and few others. Those fumes can make you very sick or worse.

Pan it to concentrate it down first. You might get it so clean you could just melt it with some flux and sell it as is. It how most placer gold is done.

If its visable its pannable, if it has much differancs in the size of the material you may want to classify it down it will make panning more efficient. Some might roast it to red hot (out doors or under a fume hood if possible.) And dump it in to water to fracture the black sand that may be encasing gold.

That looks like it was panned down to a pretty good concentrate. Pictures don't do things justice, except for the real pro photogs. A lot of fine gold is very magnetic, so you are pissing in the wind, when you get to that stage. I would send it to an assayer, if you don't have all the stuff for doing it yourself.Have them do a couple of 10 assay ton assays. For the money, you are way ahead if you. can't do it yourself. Of course tell them you want the beads back. Tell them Silver and Gold only. You will get back .999 Gold

Latest posts

Back