What will happen will happen if electronic gold scrap contains solder?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a word - YES!

Most here will use HCL to remove the tin solder first. Please do some
searching on "tin solder" and you will find some excellent posts.

Different solders contain different metals and mixtures that will definitely affect the process. Some contain lead (will need to be removed with very little sulfuric acid I mean milliliters).
Some contain silver (silver chloride can be a real pain with many options for removal, all options are here for free on the forum).
Most new solders contain tin and antimony (I don't have the time or the typing skills to get into the problems tin will cause.
I probably could have just said yes but the people here have given me so much that I hope I can pay it forward.

Chuck

You have to use an excess of oxidizer to overcome the effects of the tin in solution. Maintain an excess of oxidizer until you are ready to precipitate. The precipitate will be contaminated and will need to be refined again.

As most have implied above, your question indicates to us that you have done almost no research / reading before asking that question. Download Hoke's book (free in the library section) and get reading. When you ask a question that shows you have done some pre-research, the experienced members of the forum will put a lot more time into their replies.

Latest posts

Back