What's happening here?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some home made nitric that is being surpressed by ethylene glycol and hydrogen peroxide. It has boiled over twice in the container so it is very active and has the strength to work it's majic. It was made with sodium nitrate. Hope you enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkhadL_tAIA[/youtube]

HIHO HIHO it's off to work we go...

The stuff out there folks you just have to go looking for it.

Make a decision, spend a lot of time pulling pins or invest and profit on volume.

Maybe I should put this on Ebay! :idea:

Not..What fun would that be.

New summer project 091.jpg

philddreamer where have you gone, no word from you in a week, did you get your 5th yet?

BR,

Is that a battery jar? It's hard to tell, but the one in the second video looks large enough to be one. If so, have you broken one yet? When I first started in this, most of the refiners used 5 gal or 7.5 gal battery jars for AR. I've seen a lot of them break. The glass on the bottom is of very uneven thickness. After a few heat cycles, they can just, all of a sudden, on their own, crack on the bottom. I haven't used one since. It takes a long time to clean all that gold solution off the floor and you never get it all.

Most refiners I knew, back then, used large gas fired restaurant grills to heat these jars. To prevent banging the jars, they covered the grills with asbestos cloth, about 1/8" - 3/16" thick. One place used Ti steam tables (they looked like a long flat radiators) for heating. To catch the AR, when the jars inevitably broke, they set the jars in large boxes made of about 1/4" sheet lead.

goldsilverpro said:
BR,

Is that a battery jar? It's hard to tell, but the one in the second video looks large enough to be one. If so, have you broken one yet? When I first started in this, most of the refiners used 5 gal or 7.5 gal battery jars for AR. I've seen a lot of them break. The glass on the bottom is of very uneven thickness. After a few heat cycles, they can just, all of a sudden, on their own, crack on the bottom. I haven't used one since. It takes a long time to clean all that gold solution off the floor and you never get it all.

Most refiners, then, used large gas fired restaurant grills to heat these jars. To prevent banging the jars, they covered the grills with asbestos cloth, about 1/8" - 3/16" thick. One place used Ti steam tables (they looked like a long flat radiators) for heating. To catch the AR, when the jars inevitably broke, they set the jars in large boxes made of about 1/4" sheet lead.

I have never herd of a battery jar, but yes it sounds like the same thing. I got the thing at wal mart. I have not had one break doing this in it yet. But I have had one break while making nitric acid on a hot plate, so yes I am aware of the problem. I alway have the contaier in a plastic bucket when processing just in case something happens. I don't like putting these thru heat changes just because of your statement. But until I can get some large flasks that is all I have to use. I guess I could get some pyrex dishes that would do a better job. I'll look around more and see what I can find to work better.

Thank you for your input. I alway like it when you chime in on my post's.

Barren look into using a canning pikle jar in a sand bath. the canning glass is more uniform, a sand bath is much safer for protecting the glass from thermal shock, better yet a large lab beaker in sand bath, it would be a shame to loose that gold.

butcher said:
Barren look into using a canning pikle jar in a sand bath. the canning glass is more uniform, a sand bath is much safer for protecting the glass from thermal shock, better yet a large lab beaker in sand bath, it would be a shame to loose that gold.

Thanks butcher, I'm getting there. You have to crawl before you can walk. One of these day I will show stuff like that in beaker's. The way it should be done.

I need to point something out. I only use these jars for nitric. Any thing I use AP on is done in plastic buckets. And any heating I have to do I use coffee pot's.

Any body have access to philddreamer. Over a week and not a peep.

Now tell me what type of gloves you used in that video of yours.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Looks like they are made from pure human skin... Did you forget something or I need to check up with optician?
lol

patnor1011 said:
Now tell me what type of gloves you used in that video of yours.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Looks like they are made from pure human skin... Did you forget something or I need to check up with optician?
lol

Nope you did not miss anything.

No gloves, no glasses, no apron, no rubber boots.

If I am just moving something round I don't worry too much.

And no chemical burns in years. Let them try and lift a finger print off my crime scene. 8)

However after so many years of working with acids I always wash my hands regularly. When I touch something or even get around these things.

I do wear glasses at times. And I wear gloves when I am working with the cell, hot nitric, hot sulfuric, 32% peroxide or going to mixing a lot up.

Don't do as I do people.

Use the proper safety equipment as requested by the forum.

I have worked around these acids for many many many years. And I don't hesitate to go wash something if I feel the reaction of acid on the skin. You get supper sensitive to the feel of this stuff after years and can tell pretty quick when you need to do something.

You wan to see fun, look at an olympic size swimming pool, imagine 4 crews in the bottom pouring HCL on the concrete walls and floor to prepare for new paint. You think mixing a new batch of HCL/peroxide is tough. ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

I have been in many situations that could have turned for the worse.

You want to see pain, we use to make zinc chloride at a factory I worked at. You could try to wear rubber gloves, but try and take a 25 hp pump and motor out and see what is left of the gloves. It got to be we just toughed it out and did the job. Now if any of you don't know when you work with this with a high zinc level if you have a cut and the zinc gets in the cut and set up, it sets up like concrete. Only way to correct the cut for it to heal it to tear the scab off and dig out the area. Can we say fun.

Chance favors the prepared.

samuel-a said:
that is beautiful Mr G.
so beautiful that had to remove your comment :?: :mrgreen:

ROFL :twisted: I had not seen that he had removed the comment's. I should have used crap insted. 8)

Sorry about that Harold.

Other's coming just around the corner. :p

I did not like the comments on the forum, they did not offend me, I just thought it was not good for the forum.

But I do love to see that pretty button, great job! Hope you start pooping many of them out.

butcher said:
I did not like the comments on the forum, they did not offend me, I just thought it was not good for the forum.

But I do love to see that pretty button, great job! Hope you start pooping many of them out.

My dunce hat fell over my eyes and I had a brain fart. I appologize. 8)

And their coming.

butcher said:
That's exactly the point. I expect that readers, here, will behave as responsible adults.

This forum is unique in that you can learn processes that have been jealously guarded for years. Don't screw up a good thing by lowering the bar.

I will resist, to the best of my ability, posts that detract from proper decorum. If you wouldn't think of saying it in front of your mother or young children (or in church), don't say it on the board.
When you post on this forum, do so with proper language, paying careful attention to what you say, and how you say it. Also, do not post moronic comments that have no basis in fact. I can't think of much that would degrade the quality of this board faster. We must maintain a high level of credibility in order to survive.

Harold

Harold_V said:
butcher said:
That's exactly the point. I expect that readers, here, will behave as responsible adults.

This forum is unique in that you can learn processes that have been jealously guarded for years. Don't screw up a good thing by lowering the bar.

I will resist, to the best of my ability, posts that detract from proper decorum. If you wouldn't think of saying it in front of your mother or young children (or in church), don't say it on the board.
When you post on this forum, do so with proper language, paying careful attention to what you say, and how you say it. Also, do not post moronic comments that have no basis in fact. I can't think of much that would degrade the quality of this board faster. We must maintain a high level of credibility in order to survive.

Harold

I generaly try to do that I wasn't thinking when I posted that tho.Thank you for taking it out.

Here is a question, quandry whatever that needs some clarification if possible.

I started off with home made nitric solution and put some chips in that all of the gold had not been dissolved from.

The chips had been run in AP and had been washed scrubbed and all loose material removed before they were put into the nitric. There was enough residual HCL that AR was made and the gold dissolved. So therefore I continued on this route and added more chips and small additions of HCL. This was over a period of about 3 weeks time. After all was done I dropped the gold with SMB with no problems.

And yes this was still a nitric rich solution because I had slight brown fumes in the container just before I emptied it.

Why is it always suggested to remove the nitric from a solution to drop your gold. It appears that it dosen't matter which acid is used up as long as there in not a combination of acids to make AR. This is not the first time I dropped gold from a solution like this.

Even Harold or GSP has made a comment about using a solution of nitric with 5% HCL in it for one of thier process but more info was never given or I never found it on what that solution was used for.

New summer project 107.jpg

New summer project 108.jpg

New summer project 109.jpg

we are precipitating gold chloride not gold nitrate. the nitric just oxidizes the gold so it will form a chloride gold salt, as far as I know the gold does not form nitrate salts, as long as the oxidizer (nitric or Hno2 in this instance) is present it will keep gold chloride in solution.

if I had that bowl of chips, I would grind them to powder and get the last drop.

Back