whats the best scrap to learn on?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComputerHoarder

what i mean by that question is whats the easiest computer scrap to learn refining on? ive looked up some things on you tube and MCC's for Palladium recovery look like the easiest route, just wanted an opinion on this is all :)

I would vote on fingers.They could be run in ferric chloride,with no acid,no fumes,and in 1/10 the time as A/P.Rinse the foils in water,and melt in a small kiln or muffle furnace with borax,and soda ash,and you would have really nice gold.
As far as "easy",that would be about the easiest I can think of,and you wouldn't need any acids.
Of course if you wanted to get even easier,you could incinerate the fingers,then melt everything with the flux from above.But you would be dealing with a lot of smoke,and you would lose some values in the resultant slag.

ComputerHoarder said:
what i mean by that question is whats the easiest computer scrap to learn refining on?
I wrote the previous response prematurely.
The easiest material to learn refining on,would still be fingers,but using a different method.Once you have the foils seperated,you would need to further refine the gold by disolving them,and precipitating the gold back out.Doing this several times will ensure close to pure gold,as long as performed correctly.To get very pure gold,you will need to perform several other steps,and may need to include other chemicals.

I work outside for now. So i cut fingers off ram and slot cards. I put them in a slow cooker on medium and cover them in hcl. In 3 or 4 days i have gold foils. I put an 18 inch coffee filter in a plastic spaghetti strainer and put another strainer on top of the filter over a plastic pail. The first strainer catches the spent fingers and the filter catches the foils . I just bought a house with a nice big work shop . I will have a lab and fume hood soon . :mrgreen: ...Jim.

woo hoo! big workshops are a good thing thats for sure :D im gonna try the fingers seeing as though people say they are the best to learn on, but before that, time to read hoak (think i spelled her name right)

ComputerHoarder said:
haha thanks Jim, good to know im not the only one that misspells it anyway

Far from the only one. I don't know why it is such a hard name to spell? But it seems to be one of the top misspelled words on the forum, since most use DMG for dimethylglyoxime.

Jim

mic said:
I would vote on fingers.They could be run in ferric chloride,with no acid,no fumes,and in 1/10 the time as A/P.Rinse the foils in water,and melt in a small kiln or muffle furnace with borax,and soda ash,and you would have really nice gold.
As far as "easy",that would be about the easiest I can think of,and you wouldn't need any acids.
Of course if you wanted to get even easier,you could incinerate the fingers,then melt everything with the flux from above.But you would be dealing with a lot of smoke,and you would lose some values in the resultant slag.
hi mic and to all this forum assits
mic can you give the ferric chloride formula i would like to test this option
thanks alot to this forum i've learned a lot from you guys
sally

Latest posts

Back