Where To Sell Tantalum Capacitors in Europe

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mythen10

I work monthly with thousands of kg of ewaste and I don't collect never tantulum capacitors always I throw them away, know someone where I can sell Tantalum Capacitors in Europe? I can deliver personally after I collect 10-20 kgs and to be worth for me can sell with 25 euro 1 kg.

I search on internet and I don't find nothing about tantalum recycling in Europe, only in USA

try ebay? ebay gold refining section has people buying up all sorts of stuff, from all sorts of places. I live in the states and frequently see people buying gold scrap miscellany from eastern EU, Israel, Canada, CHina, etc.

Most of the times, you better sell cleaned tantalum. Either nitric-leach the casings (and recover silver from it - that will usually pay for the acid cost), leaving only tantalum behind, or you can take more "adventurous" route.

I cannot personally recommend this route, because it can be very very dangerous, but it is done fairly often to cut the nitric acid waste.
If you heat the caps in the steel drum past like 350-400°C - electrolyte inside will boil and cause them to explode. Loose, but heavy cover is required, as the explosions can be quite vigorous - like firecrackers. Then, after you are assured there are no more any "live" ones, you feed them into the crucible and melt. Tantalum dissolve poorly in CuZnAg melt, and porous pressed tantalum electrodes will float onto the top of the molten puddle. You can either fish them out or strain them - but do not use stainless to do this, as it will quickly erode. You will be left with brass containing few% of Ag and caked tantalum electrodes covered with brass. This, you can leach in nitric acid as the whole caps, but this time, you will use significantly less acid and make significantly less waste. And cast CuZnAg alloy can be electrorefined (after zinc removal) to recover the silver.

If you does not proceed diligently with first "popping" stage, and some "live" caps will remain to the melting stage, you can imagine what an exploding cap in molten metal will do. Ugly, bad things.

Edit: electrolyte is most often some sort of sulfuric acid based one, so be prepared for H2SO4 vapor coming out of the drum. I posted this just as information, that some "adventurous" refiners do it this way. I personally doesn´t.

Most of the times, you better sell cleaned tantalum. Either nitric-leach the casings (and recover silver from it - that will usually pay for the acid cost), leaving only tantalum behind, or you can take more "adventurous" route.

I cannot personally recommend this route, because it can be very very dangerous, but it is done fairly often to cut the nitric acid waste.
If you heat the caps in the steel drum past like 350-400°C - electrolyte inside will boil and cause them to explode. Loose, but heavy cover is required, as the explosions can be quite vigorous - like firecrackers. Then, after you are assured there are no more any "live" ones, you feed them into the crucible and melt. Tantalum dissolve poorly in CuZnAg melt, and porous pressed tantalum electrodes will float onto the top of the molten puddle. You can either fish them out or strain them - but do not use stainless to do this, as it will quickly erode. You will be left with brass containing few% of Ag and caked tantalum electrodes covered with brass. This, you can leach in nitric acid as the whole caps, but this time, you will use significantly less acid and make significantly less waste. And cast CuZnAg alloy can be electrorefined (after zinc removal) to recover the silver.

If you does not proceed diligently with first "popping" stage, and some "live" caps will remain to the melting stage, you can imagine what an exploding cap in molten metal will do. Ugly, bad things.

Edit: electrolyte is most often some sort of sulfuric acid based one, so be prepared for H2SO4 vapor coming out of the drum. I posted this just as information, that some "adventurous" refiners do it this way. I personally doesn´t.
that does sound adventurous! Reminds me of my early days, when I was setting my garage on fire, and dissolving everything in my path.....you could sell it off on ebay! Thats safer! (BUT BOOORING!)
There are currently many ads for tantalum capacitors such as you have selling for around 150-175/kg. And no explosions!~and those are being advertised from the states, Israel, all over

These usually contain more silver per ammount of weight that ones he posted. With all metal casing, you usually pay quite a bit for "useless" brass. But I also think it is overpriced, but I do not have big experience with these particular SMD tantalums in terms of yields.
Be that as it may, one must admit....the prospect IS.....tantalizing?! Eh? Eh?

That yellow capacitors, 6% of total weight of Ag (on average). More or less 370 g of Ag

I’m familiar with the yellow blocky tantalum caps ( easy to recognize ) but I also know that tantalum caps can be found as blob and disk style…does anyone know how to distinguish those style from other non-tantalum caps?

I’m familiar with the yellow blocky tantalum caps ( easy to recognize ) but I also know that tantalum caps can be found as blob and disk style…does anyone know how to distinguish those style from other non-tantalum caps?
Glove up and open some. All SMD-Surface Mount Device style will have a solid sintered tantalum anode and anode pin. Beware of manganese dioxide, it's toxic and flammable. Depending on the electrolyte used, there may be a shiny colored coating. Tantalum is extremely hard and difficult to cut vs a ceramic disk.
Photo example of a tantalum disk by MacFixer.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665870379040.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665870379040.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1665871015131.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665871015131.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1665870495955.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665870495955.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1665870482470-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665870482470-1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
@canedane
That link is a keeper…I was hoping for some specific external markings that set Ta caps from non-Ta caps but from a quick preview, it looks like they can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
I may need to try and find a way to sort random caps by means other than just visual, to speed things up.

Back