White solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooman

I recently created a solution of Au chloride after dissolving some pins in heated acid until the colour remained clear, took about 3 washes in HCL boiling for 3 hours per wash, I filtered the solution after dissolving the pin foils in bleach and fresh acid I wasnt expecting much from about 100 grams of pins so after two hours I added about 2.2 grams of SMB to precipitate the gold, the solution fizzed semi violently and now I have a white foamy layer on the top below that its slightly brownish/black with a slight hint of a green tinge, which amazes me as im certain all base metal was removed, and below that its just a light yellow colour. What do I do?

if you added SMB and it fizzed at all, you still have free chlorine in the solution. how long did you let it set out before you added the SMB?

it needs to set uncovered for 24 hours before attempting to precipitate the gold.

thanks for the reply, I had a hunch that may be the problem I was only expecting a small amount so foolishly I just let it sit for a couple of hours, also noticed theres a white powder at the bottom of the flask as well im assuming that would be smb, should all be well if I just leave it sit or should i Heat it a little to drive the chlorine off?

The white powder could be SMB or chlorine salts. You could heat gently(don't boil) or just let it set. If you heat let cool first and maybe add an ice cube. If there is no drop add a little more SMB at that point. Not so much as last time seeing as there is probably little gold to precipitate.

Latest posts

Back