wierd problem !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme2

I was depopulating some of my gold plated military motherboards over a home made furnace and a plastic shopping bag blew on to the board and instantly melted.

I now have a layer of plastic covering part of the plating.

I tried to scrape it off with no success. I tried to soften it with the heat gun and remove it with a wire brush, that just managed to spread it out over a larger area. lye also has no effect.

I have searched countless threads in the last week and can't find any thing dealing with a related problem.

Any one dealt with this problem ? Can you please point me in the right direction ?

I'd burn it off with a blow torch - if it's a shopping bag it should burn well enough. Or your furnace should get it hot enough to burn.

You're right though that is a rather intriguing set of circumstances.

yes, kind of funny

its like the day i was waiting outside the shopping mall waiting for my wife, this guy flicked a cigarette on the ground.
it rolled into a tissue paper and lit it on fire, the tissue blew away & into a store flyer, the flyer burst into flames then another guy stomped it out.

strange things happen :)

Thanks SS I'll try my torch it just may incinerate the plastic where the heat gun just melted it. Good thinking. Man I'm getting old.

Just don't inhale the fumes :shock:
The coating on the boards is more toxic than the plastic from the bag and the torch will heat both materials to the point of emitting fumes.

Latest posts

Back