will this piece do to make stannous chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericrm

can someone tell me if i can use this piece of metal to make stannous chloride
i just want to be sure,i dont wanna think it worked and end up all messed up try to figure out where my gold disapear
thank you for the help btw
to what i think,on top it says 97% ,under it says tin...
will the 97 % represent the tin % ,what you think?
thank you
Eric

Attachments

• IMGP4406.JPG
    IMGP4406.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 314
Tin creaks when bent. If you can bend a piece, give that a try. Not many metals make a noise when they're bent.

Harold

Pewter also creaks but is not suitable. Mostly tin but can contain all sorts of contaminants, copper, zinc etc.

Deano

Thanks, Deano, although I shouldn't be surprised. Pewter contains tin----but also other unwanted metals.

That's an interesting piece he showed. I can't imagine what the hell it might be, or what it might be used for.

Harold

the piece come from a factory making printable object tshirt ,pen, and... ugly souvenir, this was part of a very, very ugly necklace...
well i guess i try and will see as barren says
thank you
Eric

You could just order it ready made here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Platinum-Palladium-Spot-test-Stannous-chloride-/140591427637?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_JewelleryBoxes_Supplies_CA&hash=item20bbe6f035

Harold_V said:
Tin creaks when bent. If you can bend a piece, give that a try. Not many metals make a noise when they're bent.

Harold

NoIdea said:
Pewter also creaks but is not suitable. Mostly tin but can contain all sorts of contaminants, copper, zinc etc.

Deano

Cadmium also creaks. 100% unusable for this application though.

Palladium said:
You could just order it ready made here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Platinum-Palladium-Spot-test-Stannous-chloride-/140591427637?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_JewelleryBoxes_Supplies_CA&hash=item20bbe6f035

I don't know what ericrm has access to but with 5 pounds he could get a spool of 95% tin at the hardware store. That's a lifetime supply of stannous for most.

Palladium said:

I noticed that Patnor is selling that. Is there some sort of preservative in it, Pat. No offense, but I wouldn't think it would have much of a shelf life, unless you've done something to it that I don't know about.

I'm sure that dissolving tin in HCl works fine, but I always use the stannous chloride salts to make it up - about a gram dissolved in about 10 ml of HCl with 2 or 3 mls of water added, although the exact mix doesn't seem to be that critical. I just keep it handy in a small beaker with an eye dropper in it. It is good for about a week, give or take a few days, depending mainly on how hot the weather is. I keep a small bottle or small beaker of gold chloride solution, with another eyedropper in it, near it and always use it first to make sure the stannous gives a strong positive on a drop of gold solution before testing something. I use a spot plate. I used to go through the whole standard bit using mossy tin, etc., but that was more of a pain. Stannous chloride is cheap in the quantities needed and it is so easy to make the solution that I don't worry about trying to make it last for a long time.

If I don't want to mess with making fresh stannous, I sometimes put a drop of the solution I am testing on a piece of filter paper (the less absorbent, the better) or the spot plate, add a couple of drops of water, and add a couple of crystals of stannous chloride (from the tip of my pocket knife blade). Works fine.

If you're testing aqua regia, and there's a lot of nitric in it, the color may initially appear and then quickly disappear. This is solved by adding a drop of the solution you're testing to a spot plate, diluting it with 3 or 4 drops of water, and then adding a drop of stannous chloride.

Stannous chloride salts should be white and are best stored out of the light and out of the heat. If they turn yellow, they possibly won't work as well, or maybe not at all.

Here's enough stannous chloride to make up 113, 1 gram batches. With a week of shelf life, that's a 2 year supply. Cheap and reliable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stannous-Chloride-Anhydrous-98-1-4-lb-/250873979365?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a694121e5

goldsilverpro said:
Palladium said:

I noticed that Patnor is selling that. Is there some sort of preservative in it, Pat. No offense, but I wouldn't think it would have much of a shelf life, unless you've done something to it that I don't know about.

The picture is probably just for show. I bet he puts an additional piece of tin in the bottle before shipping, in turn keeping the stannous fresh indefinitely.

What you have should be 97% tin pewter. Pewter does work to make stannous. The alloys to add hardness don't seem to do any harm. Copper, antimony, and the old stuff lead. Antimony is found in lead free solder and sits on the bottom of a stannous solution, lead chloride shoud be on the bottom as well, and a copper solution shows no result to a stannous test.

It's not as handy as prepared stannous but a cheap and dirty functional solution.

Ive used Pewter/Tin cups when i first started out and it worked fine for me, i just use a fine bastard file and filed some shavings for a minute or so and dissolved in a small amount of HCL.
Make sure to make a fresh batch every now and then and if testing with Pewter/Tin then it would be prudent to test it against a known sample to make sure it's doing it's job.

it works fine
i have try it many time without succes but.... my gold wasent in solution READ READ READ for christ sake..... you will understand what mean to read when you dont

but know with hcl cl my gold is in solution so well it turn my cutip charcoal black :)

goldenchild said:
goldsilverpro said:
Palladium said:

The picture is probably just for show. I bet he puts an additional piece of tin in the bottle before shipping, in turn keeping the stannous fresh indefinitely.

You got me. :mrgreen: Picture is indeed empty bottle. I use anhydrous tin chloride as Chris said. I always make only small say 0.1l quantity which is good for 5 bottles. I fill bottles on day of sale, always put small bit of pure tin inside.
I plan to list another few things - I want to sell 3 small glass vials with 10ml of dissolved Au, Pd, Pt it will be acting as standard solution when testing to see if your testing liquid is still good and working. I have enough of gold and palladium for that I am just waiting for some pure platinum.

patnor1011 said:
I plan to list another few things - I want to sell 3 small glass vials with 10ml of dissolved Au, Pd, Pt it will be acting as standard solution when testing to see if your testing liquid is still good and working.

I think that is a great idea Pat.

patnor i havent realis it, but before i knew mine was working i bought you some stannous cholride :roll:
no dont worry a wont ask for a refund (i need the litle white bottle anyway)

i just hope for you that it is good quality because now i know where you are :twisted:

Latest posts

Back